Obama Proposes to Sell C-130s to China

C130Hcc

Can you believe this guy........

Obama proposes to sell China C-130s

Source: Global Times China [02:22 October 11 2010]

By Hao Zhou

US President Barack Obama has proposed to Congress terminating the suspension of C-130 cargo aircraft export licenses to China, according to a letter published Friday on the White House's website.

This proposal, which is regarded by some Chinese analysts as blandishments to China after the US stiffly pressed China to revaluate its yuan, is still subject to review and approval by both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

The White House didn't release the quantity or price of the C-130s in the proposal.

If it gets the green light, the C-130 transport aircraft, nicknamed "Hercules," would become the first heavy military equipment that the US has exported to China since 1989.

Capable of using unprepared runways for takeoffs and landings, the C-130 family found uses in a variety of roles, including cargo transportation, troops and medical evacuation, airborne assault, search and rescue, maritime patrol and even aerial firefighting.

However, Song Xiaojun, a Beijing-based military expert, downplayed the significance of Obama's proposal.

"I don't think Beijing is very much in need of such an aircraft model, though the China-made military transport planes, compared with C-130, are still left behind in terms of engines and electronic aviation equipment," Song told the Global Times, adding that the C-130s that the US intends to export to China is only for civilian use.

He said the motives behind Obama's proposal might be aimed at "blandishing China after recent tensions caused by the US, such as pressing for the yuan's appreciation, arms sales to Taiwan and military exercises in waters close to China."

In the mid-1980s, when China-US relations enjoyed a short honeymoon period, the US sold China a bunch of S-70 helicopters, a model of the UH- 60 Blackhawk designed for civilian use.

After bilateral ties soured, Washington suspended the exports of parts for the S-70s, so China could hardly fly those S- 70s anymore, another military expert told the Global Times on condition of anonymity.

"What Beijing wants to buy from Washington is always blocked, and what the US wants to sell to China is always something that China doesn't need," he added.

Agencies contributed to this story

This is another stupid idea from Berry Obama!. I was the maint super at Kadena 1980-84. The Japanese govmt bought 6 F-15s from the US...also bought the plans and my AMU at Kadena trained the Japanese JSDAF troops how to maintain and service the planes. The Japanese company IHI then started to manifacture the air frames and Mitisbutsi manifactured the engines. That my friends caused billions of dollars to be circulated within Japan and nothing coming to the US. Figure the tire, tubes, aluminum and all the other parts that are now being made over there instead of here in the US....how many jobs have we lost!

Now if the same thing happens in China how soon will it be before they start to manifacture their own C-130s....and cause us to loose more revinew and jobs....

VOTE IN November!!!

Muff

The Japanese company IHI then started to manifacture the air frames and Mitisbutsi manifactured the engines. That my friends caused billions of dollars to be circulated within Japan and nothing coming to the US. Figure the tire, tubes, aluminum and all the other parts that are now being made over there instead of here in the US....how many jobs have we lost!

Muff

Japan pretty much builds all of our aircraft under license... F-15, F-104, F-4, F-16(they call it F-2), F-86, P-3, P-2, T-34(they call it LM-1), SH-60(about to start those)

Sad thing is their versions are better made.

I'd have few concerns about the airframe. It's the systems that I'd be concerned about. The Chinese are interesting, I saw a MiG-15 brought in by the SDASM in the mid-80's. The workmanship was beautiful. Aside from a few tell tale tooling marks the rivets could have been done by a machine instead of a bucking bar. However, my sister who does business over there, claims the workers will copy mistakes even though they know it unless they are told otherwise.

I believe the Chinese are tooling up (physically and intellectually) to produce their own large aircraft. Commercial or military, I do not know. They have the will and the cash to move this project forward. Remember the B-29's in WWII that the Russians (stored) for us and ended up copying in every detail? Time will tell.