The Good \"Old\" Days

mayor

Guest cobra935o

I doubt Mactan has changed much since you were there in 67-68 either! Well at least the base anyway, the rest of the city, and Cebu I am sure have grown leaps and bounds.

Nathan

Muff, you are close. I was 34 when I got there. I had been flying in to Mactan since the early to mid 60s on C-124s before I got to C-130s. As far as Mactan now, There is a bridge to Cebu now and the field is now an international airport and the pristine beaches we knew now have tourist hotels. What a waste of Marigun beach. And what did they do with our drunken monkey?

Jim

Muff Millen wrote:

PS: I moved here to Smyrna Georgia this past June and I get to see and best of all hear the mighty Herk flying in the neighborhood out of Dobbins ARB love it.:)

I\'m living just below the Florida/Georgia line. The C-130s out of Aero Corp. on test flights come right over the house low about 3 or 4 times a week. Nothing else sounds quite like a 130. Kinda miss it all ..... but not enough I would want to do it over again.

I live 3 miles from the back gate of The Rock. I am in the short pattern and hear 130s almost day and night. The only thing as good for me would be to hear those multi engine round motors again. I have lived in the sound of airplanes since I was 17, and will never get tired of it. By the way, The display airplanes here at the rock now include the C-119 (which I started flying on) the C-130 A and E and a C-123 that I flew on for three years in Alaska (that airplane). My history is following me.

Jim

• 3 months later...

Hi. My name is Jerry Hatfield. Maybe we crossed paths. I was a maintenance officer(Lt.)at Dyess from Sept. 1962 through May 1964. I remember we had some old blunt-nosed models, and a dozen ski birds. When we got in the new E models we loved how clean looking and clean smelling they were. Nice orange seat cushions and blue-green cockpit. People I remember: Sgt. Nelms of FMS, a very good electrician; Sgt. McKrell who drove our OMS expediter truck; Sgt. Tillery who ran Job Control; SMSgt Sosebee of OMS; SMSgt Vess of Aero Repair; other OMS Sgts. -- Willis, Gastonguay, Logan, Longmire, Fink, Gordon, Stamper, Pearce, Crosby, Maupin, Hill, Mays, Carpenter. OMS officers: Lt. Spurlin, Lt. Sansone, Capt. Avery, Capt. Hinkley, Major Miller, Major Davis, Major Pond. I\'m not sure, but I think the FMS commander was Lt. Col. Smith. Lt. Col. Burger was the DM -- boss of the Chief of Maintenance. When the 17th TCS was reassigned to Elmendorf, I PCSed with them, to take care of the 6 D-models and the 6 D-6 models. I PCSed to Maxwell AFB in Oct. 1965. I stayed in aircraft maintenance through 1977, and in logistics through my retirement in 1984.