San Antonio Herks

bobdaley

Bobby Hunter has been helping us trying to clear up Herk sightings in San Antonio.

Here is some of what he found.

Brooks City Base

63-7805 sitting outside is an Aeromed trainer in good shape.

62-1860 also an Aeromed trainer but inside a building at Brooks.

Both of these herks are supposed to move to Wright Patt as AF moves to get out of Brooks and bring more training to WP. 63-7805 is still listed as stored at the Boneyard, but I think there are only a few pieces there.

Lackland-Kelly

64-0519 on flight line trainer for IAAFA

59-1531 on Medina Base was a trainer for IAAFA now a trainer for the new Enlisted Aircrew School.

Camp Bullis

55-0048 an Air Base defense trainer for the sky cops.

58-0727 an Aeromed trainer moved from Sheppard

70-1264 a new Aeromed trainer

The Aeromed stuff at Cam Bullis confuses me. It is supposed to be a joint Aeromed Training facility. They combined Wilford Hall and Brooke Army Medical Center and put in a joint Aeromed school. Now they want to move the Aeromed school from Brooks to Ohio. Seems like you'd want them together. Only guess I heard so far is they want to separate Aerospace Medicine, the Docs, from Aeromedical Evacuation and do it on an AFB where they control the hospital, but that seems strange.

Finally in San Antonio we think we have located CG 1341 in a building at Kelly. More If Bobby can find it.

That leaves only 56-0522 it used to be the load trainer at the 433AW at Kelly. I was told it was going to New Zealand as a load trainer. Bobby was told it is in the Dallas area. I checked the Museums and drove out to the old Garland ANGS and no sign of it. The ANGS closed 2 weeks ago and moved out to the old 136 AW space in Grand Prairie at Hensley Field. I can't get them on the phone. I may drive out there this week. I also can't get the 136AW on the phone? Anyone ought there know about a load trainer? **** Update CMSGT Ret Andy Vaquera says they have the records showing that 56-0522 was cut up for beer cans at Lackland.

Related story, Bobby went over to Ft Polk to see his old airplane 58-0755 in her new paint job. 755 and 57-0528 are jump trainers at Ft Polk.

Thanks Bobby

I'll try to add pictures that Bobby took.

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

When we had the Troop Carrier/Tactical Airlift Convention in San Antonio in 2008 we visited the BMT Museum and had a tour with the curator. We talked to him about the airplanes on the parade ground and somebody brought up the Herk. The only C-130 he mentioned as being anywhere around the Lackland complex was the B-model that is being used at the aircrew training center now. At that time it was being used by the Security Police school.

I'd be interested in a picture of CG1341. We've thought she was scrapped.

Thanks in Advance!

Senior sends.

I lost your address when my computer crashed. I have a new one but a lot of addresses were lost. If you want I can send you a copy of the picture I posted below just send me your address. Bob

Edited by bobdaley

I know I have been retired a long time but what is enlisted aircrew training ???

Mike

They centralized all enlisted aircrew training into one location at Lackland. There is a class called EAUC (I think) that is now a precursor to basic engineer or load school. They are also held at Lackland. From there, they do a chamber ride at Brooks and on to Little Rock, Dobbins or wherever their specific airframe training is.

I just got this from CMSGT Ret Andy Vaquera, former head of the Loadmaster section at Kelly a 130 and C5 Load.

I think we found Lockheed 3542, former USAF registered 58-6973 and prior USCG 1341 hiding as 58-1341.

I hope Andy can verify it.

It is in a big building located on Lackland near the Security Police Museum.

531 is located at the "new" center for excellence located on Medina, and will probably move on to another site. Their students attend basic get yer feet wet aircrew classroom training and from there on to their specific weapons systems. We here at Lackland in the 733d TRS get the C5 FE and LM students who recieve their training from Flight Safety (contractor) and are evaluated by the Air Force FE's and Loads. Coming in the future the Loadmasters will be form 8 qualified when they leave. My area is responsible for the ground training portion i.e. winch operations, loading/unloading pallets, and rolling stock. In the evenings mostly we are loading ballast loads for the C5 Heavy Air Refueling course pilots and crews. does anyone know where i can get a list of the Herks doing service as Aerial Port Training Aids or APTA's? i know that pete field is responsible for there upkeep.

62-1860 also an Aeromed trainer but inside a building at Brooks.

This would be correct. Or it was when Brooks was still open back in 1991. I attended the School of Aerospace Medicine, Aeromedical Evacuation Technician/Flight Nurse Course there in November/December 91'.

It was used to demonstrate enplaning/deplaning of patients, and also for use as a trainer for the location of emergency exits.

MSgt. James L. Reynolds

118th AES

USAF (Ret)

I just got this from CMSGT Ret Andy Vaquera, former head of the Loadmaster section at Kelly a 130 and C5 Load.

I think we found Lockheed 3542, former USAF registered 58-6973 and prior USCG 1341 hiding as 58-1341.

I hope Andy can verify it.

It is in a big building located on Lackland near the Security Police Museum.

Correct it is Bldg 1090 . Recently the 344th combined with the 345th in the same building moving the COE . COE is no longer on the Medina side. This particular unit is being used as a logistics trainer.

If need be I can wander in and look at for you Bob.

• 2 months later...

;Another San Antonio Mystery solved. Andy Marden set us on the trail of a herk at Brooks.

Bobby Hunter armed with a camera and not afraid of snakes found it and checked it out for us.

It is 55-0012.

Good story, 55-0012 was delivered in September 1957 it went first to Evereux and then to 815TAS.

When the A models came back in 1972 it went to the 63 TAS at Selfridge, then late in 72 we gave it to the SVAF as part of Project Enhance Plus.

In the SVAF it wore GZH. It was in such bad shape when it came back from the SVAF in 75 it went right to AMARG then known as MASDC.

It went from MASDC to Equipment Supply in NC. I heard it was cut up but Equipment Supply would not say anything about it.

On an Airline trip I found the cockpit out behind the fire station at Ontario CA Airport. Fire Dept said they used t as an egress trainer.

Know we know that the fuselage went to Brooks as a ground trainer. It has been discarded for awhile, probably since the Aeromeds got there E models.

Inside the Fuselage was the aircraft nickname "The Hacker" and the crew chiefs names, C/C C. Wilson AC/C M. Garvon, since they had no rank on them probably from the 63 TAS.

Anyhow very interesting, Thanks Bobby.

Bob