California Fires...

Herkeng130

Been watching them fly over the house for the past few days lining up for thier final approaches. I was pretty surprised how I could pick off that old familliar sound as they flew over head out of all of the S. Cal noises. I guess once you\'ve got it in ya, you never lose it!

The 115AS is in a support role only. The new AAFS units for the C-130J is not complete and is currently in flight testing in Chico onboard a H2. CO, WY and NC are the only ones operating out of Channel Islands currently.

The media has really blasted the CA ANG, the NG and the CDF. Many Generals flew in recently and were hit pretty hard by the media, specifically FOX news and CNN.

However progress is being made.

bobdaley wrote:

I have found 5 of the aircraft flying. If CA is not participating, there maybe only 6 Herks. The USAF got 8 MAFFS sets 2 ea for CA,WY,NC COS AFRC.

93-7317, 93-7320 COS

93-7313, 93-7314 WY

93-1458 NC

Bob

Great!! Thank you...I appreciate it...more if you can get it.

I was wondering about the 2 MAFFS units that CA had. I know they were not certified on the \"J.\" What happened to them? They could have easily been installed to one of the Herks from the other three units. They are not plane specific.

Also when I retired the AFFS(rather than MAFFS) testing was about to come to a screaching halt. The test director for that program and I were good friends. I heard some horror stories about testing. It had gotten so political and a food fight. Too many hands were adding input without any regard to proper flight testing as well as the SPO not having a good idea about flight testing. My test director buddy gave up on it and let someone else put up with all the crap.

I read where the 130,s from N.C. could only carry 3000 gallons of water.

There are some bigger tanks for other 130,s but they won\'t fit in the older models. I don\'t know why the tanks won\'t fit all!

I got out in Nov.66 and there is lots that \"I\" don\'t know.

Could be that some have been streached???

Not herk related question but PDRK fire related.

Why has it not been in the news that the PDRK REFUSED and DENIED admittance to volunteer FD\'s that showed up at the boarder because their fire trucks did not have tier 3 engines????

Ohhhh bad fire trucks are going to pollute the smoke filled air with their BAD diesels! Got this from some NM firefighters that I know, after they spent a couple days awaiting admittance to the PDRK then went home.

People talked about the crackhead wealfare junkies in N.O. after the storm, well it just goes to prove the Peoples Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia aint far behind.

Guess thats what you get when nobody but peter puffers and tree huggers vote.

hitler.gifhitler.gifhitler.gifhitler.gifhitler.gif

Dan

The MAFFS units that were at C.I were sent to Chico for refurb. If I am not mistaken, the tanks were internally corroded pretty badly. I am not sure where they will end up.

As for the aircraft, we got out of the MAFFS business when we traded away our E- models earlier this year. AFFS is still in flight testing. C-130J\'s are on hand now. AAFS testing on a J is to start soon, dates unknown at this time. What is interesting is how AAFS is going to operate with stretch J\'s. MOst pit operations are for short aircraft and in some instances, a J may not fit, or so it seems. The maintenance support aspect is also in change. More to follow on this area.

• 2 weeks later...