Afghan Herk Down?

Jeffysan

Only thing I found so far:

KABUL, Afghanistan – A cargo plane crashed into mountains east of Afghanistan's capital Kabul on Tuesday, with initial reports saying all eight people aboard were killed, an Afghan airport official said.

The plane was flying from Bagram Air Field when it went down east of the capital at about 8 p.m. (1530 GMT), Kabul Airport Director Mohammad Yaqub Rassuli told The Associated Press.

Rassuli said all eight crew members were believed dead.

The aircraft was carrying supplies for NATO forces in the country, Rassuli said.

The cause of the crash wasn't immediately known. Weather conditions were clear Tuesday evening.

NATO said in a statement the crash occurred about 16 miles (30 kilometers) east of Kabul International Airport.

NATO said early reports indicated the plane was an L-100 Hercules aircraft, the civilian equivalent of a military C-130. The plane was not a NATO aircraft, the alliance said.

Afghan and NATO troops were conducting a search-and-rescue mission, the alliance said.

Bagram, which lies north of Kabul, is the main U.S. military base in Afghanistan.

In May, a passenger plane operated by Pamir Airways, a private Afghan airline, crashed while traveling from Kunduz in northern Afghanistan to the capital. All 44 passengers on the plane died.

The latest is that is was a -20, 5X-TUC (4362); ex-S9-BOR and for you ex-Southern guys; N522SJ. I have the names of the cockpit crew, but I'm not gonna post them here. If you're curious, send me a PM & I'll reply. I'm sure someone else will get their hands on the names & post them, but not me. Thankfully, they were after my time there & I didn't know any of them. RIP.

Don R.

"The plane is owned and operated by Trans Afrique of Ghana, he said. National Air Cargo is a customer, he said.

National Air Cargo received reports "that the plane was on the radar and then it wasn't," Murray said.

An ISAF statement said the plane was not an ISAF aircraft, and Lt. Col. John Dorrian, ISAF spokesman, said the aircraft was from Uganda.

"Early reports indicate the plane is an L-100 Hercules aircraft, the civilian equivalent of a military C-130," the statement said. ISAF said the airport is expected to remain open."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/10/12/afghanistan.plane.crash/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Don can probably clear this up, but from what I was told it was 4362 it is registered in Kenya. Being operated for Murray Air Cargo. Murray used to be at Willow Run and is now based in NY. The plane and crew are from Transafrik. TA used to be based in Sao Tome-Principe at least for registration purposes. It used to operate in Angola primarily, but since that got quiet, they got into UN Relief work and leasing aircraft to National Air for operations in Afghanistan and moved their operations to Fujirah.

Last I heard they had 5 operating L-100's 5X-TUA 4301, 5X-TUB 4300, 5x-TUD 4298, 5X-TUE 4385 and 5X-TUF 4383

They have lost 4134 S9-BAT 2010, 4303 S9-NAI, 4362 5X-TUC, 4472 S9-BAS, 4477 S9-BOP, 4561 S9-CAO, 4586 S9-BOF, 4833 CP-1564 (leased from Bolivia), 4839 D2-EHD (operated for ENDIAMA)

Edited by bobdaley

5X-TUC was being operated for National Airlines based at Willow Run Airport, MI. National also operates DC-8's, 757 Combi's & 747-400's.

Yep, Transafrik doesn't have a very good track record, but just consider the hostile environments they work out of. Plus, their airplanes are pieces of crap! At least they were when I was there.

Bob, you forgot one of their losses. S9-BAS at Loki -- the one that broke the tail off on landing. Although it hasn't been "officially" written off yet, I have serious doubts it'll ever fly again. Check out the photo on airliners.net. I'd post it here except for the copyright problems that cropped up here a few years ago.

Besides your list of losses, Transafrik has seriously damaged other Hercs of theirs but were "repaired" and flown again. One that comes to mind is CP-1376 (4759), a C-130H that was leased from the Bolivian Air Force. It went off the runway at Mongu, Zambia and caught fire. Lots more, too. I can post this photo, though, because it's mine.

Sorry, sorta got off the subject of the crash in Afghanistan.

Don R.

From the Air Force Times web site: 5 bodies found after Afghanistan plane crash

By Amir Shah - The Associated Press

Posted : Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 8:28:33 EDT

KABUL, Afghanistan — Five charred bodies were recovered Wednesday from the wreckage of a cargo plane carrying NATO supplies that slammed into a mountaintop east of Afghanistan's capital with eight people aboard.

Searchers scoured the blackened site high up the mountainside for three other crew members missing and feared dead, said police Gen. Zulmayi Horya Khail.

The plane went down east of Kabul shortly after taking off Tuesday evening from Bagram Air Field, the main U.S. military base in Afghanistan. The cause of the crash wasn't immediately known. Weather conditions were clear at the time.

Kabul Airport Director Mohammad Yaqub Rassuli said the aircraft was carrying supplies for NATO forces. Six Filipinos, one Indian and one Kenyan were aboard the flight. Rassuli said all eight were believed dead.

Hundreds of Afghan security forces in fatigues carrying M-16 rifles gathered at the bottom of the mountain Wednesday. Smoke could be seen rising from the scattered wreckage.

The plane, owned by United Arab Emirates-based TransAfrik, was under contract by the U.S.-based company National Air Cargo.

"The company has confirmed that a TransAfrik L-100 aircraft flying from Bagram to Kabul went down shortly before 8 p.m.," National Air Cargo said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the crew and their families."

The L-100 Hercules aircraft is the civilian equivalent of a military C-130 plane.

NATO said in a statement the crash occurred about 16 miles east of Kabul International Airport.