Prop wont restart in flight on FCF

angryjohnny

Johnny, change the PCU pressure switch, or redo the beta cal.....*sarcasm, he use to be my old boss*

1-What do you mean by PCU…?; If you mean the pressure cut-out switch located in the pump housing; That switch is a part of the feathering circuit but definitely not involved in the unfeathering circuit (air start circuit). If it malfunctions, the prop will not go to full feather during the shut-down which is not the case.

2-Secondly what do you mean by: redo the beta cal…?

3-Finally, what do you mean by sarcasm...?!

Hey Tiny,

We never advise such…….. to your fragile avionic boxes.

I gave a little slam test to every box I put across my bench, unless it had tubes in it.

A little slam (tubeless only) = Smack the starter (any) with the bumper jack.

Master of Equilibrium..!!

1-What do you mean by PCU…?; If you mean the pressure cut-out switch located in the pump housing; That switch is a part of the feathering circuit but definitely not involved in the unfeathering circuit (air start circuit). If it malfunctions, the prop will not go to full feather during the shut-down which is not the case.

2-Secondly what do you mean by: redo the beta cal…?

3-Finally, what do you mean by sarcasm...?!

PCU pressure switch (Pitch Control Unit) it's a J-model component

Beta Cal, the J-models don't have mechanical rigging, it's all built into the software in the computer and a beta tube that runs from the forward tip of the prop, through the prop, through the PGB (propellar gear box) into the PCU that controls blade pitch.

the sarcasm comes from Johnny use to be my old boss on Marine Corps KC-130T models, and about the time he got out of the corps I was forced to transfer to a J-model unit.

The things make this site “irresistible†is the lovely jokes spread in between from time to time, smoothen the ugly precise technical information.

By the way brother battleherk,

Give my best regard to “sir.casmâ€; he also used to be my father-in-law during my high school study till I had been kicked out. One more thing if you don’t mind, till him I missed him, and it is not me who asked mother to divorce him..¡

• 11 years later...

Had the same exact problem this week on a L-100 during a post inspection FCF.  Both inboard engines were overhauled zero time compressors and both would not restart immediately when TIT was below 200 degrees after cruise feather shutdown.  After tossing a bunch a parts and man hours at it I came across this post.  Tried the 15 minute wait time like Mike Fishers commented on and they both fired right up.  Thermal expansion at its finest!  Now to figure out what the heck the overhauls facility is doing wrong!