Retirement

jc130fe

A 44-year-old C-130 tactical airlifter that received a Purple Heart during the Vietnam War and has been operating in Southwest Asia has flown its last combat mission. Capt. Christopher Moore reports that the veteran Hercules, No. 63-7865, accumulated more than 29,500 flying hours over its service. It now goes back to Ramstein AB, Germany, its current assignment, before making the trip to the Boneyard at the Davis-Monthan Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center.

Hope someone remembers to get the Purple Heart Citation plate from above the Engineers Station. Oh, and If there is a Picture of this plate, would sure like a copy for my records as I was an assistant Crew Chief on 7865 from 75 to 77 at both Kadena and Yakota.

Frank Adams

Bob Laymon and others, I just checked my log book and found that during my four years at CCK and Kadena in the 345TAS I only flew 7865 on one mission. It was a very memorable mission that will always stick out in my mind....We departed Kadena AB Okinawa at 12:50 29 July 1974 and flew to Yakota AB Japan. After a couple days crew rest (and shopping) we departed Yokota and flew out to Iwo Jima. I have no notes as to what our cargo or passengers were but we did stay on the ground for three and a half hours. We were trucked up to the top of Mt Sarabachi and it was a very moving experience for all of us as we almost could feel and hear the sounds of the great battle that took place there during the second world war....It was the first and only time I was on Iwo and that mission will always stand out in my mind. God bless those who gave so much there for our freedom.

Muff Millen

I stopped at Iwo once. Amazing sight. In \'83 (?) headied out of the Dorf, flying duck-butt for a C-12 heading for Korea. Made stops at Adak (gas for C-12 mainly), Midway (2 days), Wake (2 days), Iwo (gas), Japan (2 days) before we landed in Korea. Couple days of shopping and we headed back to the \'Dorf. Loads of Tac-treasures out of Yokota and Korea.....

Was in the 17th at the time. Carried survival gear, etc., in case the C-12 had to ditch. Felt sorry for those guys though. They had an extra fuel tank mounted inside the fuselage. A lot of water for a 2 engine bug smasher to be flying over.

\"Worst\" part of that mission was being administered my flight evaluator check ride at the time by Chief Grant. Guess he needed a reason to head to Japan and Korea for some shopping! Oh besides the fact we had an augmented crew. B)