3000 PSI brakes, why?

polcat

The 3000 psi brakes didn't show up untill about 83 models, oldest H2's don't have them, from what I gather the reason it was done was there was more braking avalible than the 2030 brakes could supply under certain conditions. when I do FCF's on dry runways it is very hard to get the anti skid to cycle to verify operations.

My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak with certainty about this specific brake issue, but I can say that the shift in aircraft hydraulics is towards higher PSI systems because they can create the same amount of force with smaller (therefore lighter) actuators.

I worked in the development dept at Moog on the primary flight control actuators for the new Boeing 787 which uses all 5000 psi actuators for this reason. The Dreamliner is touted as the most efficient airliner to date because it's designed from the ground up to be as light as possible.

From what I remember the brakes have always been 3000 PSI but a metering value was put in to reduce them to 2000PSI for the B model which had a weak nose section unable to stand heavy braking. For some reason the metering value was left in on the stronger E model and was not removed until later H2s.