Herks at NAS PNS

HercMX

A few days ago I remember someone mentioning they could not get the tail numbers of the herkychickens at NAS PNS museum. I got over there this wkend and here is the best hot... I missed the tour bus by mins but managed this thru the fence... 9798 appears to be the number.... Can this help??...

• 2 months later...

Good morning! Navy BuNo 151891 was the last of four sequentially numbered EC-130G model aircraft delivered to the Navy to kick off the "TACAMO" airborne radio relay mission in 1968. 151888 and 151889 flew the circuit for many years; 151889 was shared between the Atlantic & Pacific VQ squadrons. 151890 was "struck" in 1972 when it bellied in to a cornfield on the Maryland eastern shore with a port wing fire following the #1 fuel tank explosion. All hands survived. 151891 was pulled out of the circuit and assigned to the Naval Air Test Center at Pax River for the rest of its TACAMO life, then stripped out for a replacement E-6A Mercury and became a TC-130G. 151891 is indeed on static display at the National Museum of Naval Aviation in P-Cola. Good info and thx, Jansen.

I recall the 151890 accident. If memory serves the #1 fuel boost pump AC circuit breakers popped and the crew repeatedly attempted to reset them. As a result a fire erupted in the #1 main fuel tank. It was only through some outstanding airmanship the crew was able to crash land the acft with all crew members surviving, as flynavymike stated. As a result of this accident the AF published a supplement to the -1 stating if fuel bp cbs pop do not attempt the reset them. Kind of makes sense.

We had that crew off 151890 at the sim at Langley just before the accident. I do remember one of the things we covered then was don't reset those CB's in Flight. It would have been covered with the USN crew, and I remember we were asked if it was covered. It may not have been in the -1 then. I think PK Willis was their instructor.

What I was told about the G's was that the USN had bought them to supplement their C-130F's. Up until then they were borrowing KC-130F's from the USMC to haul trash. Then after they tested the TACAMO gear on KC130F 149806 the decision was made to make the G's EC-130G's until the Navy could buy enough EC-130Q's.

Bob

I used to dread landing with a CB pulled for either the pumps or the indicators.

Almost invariably the crew cheif or pointy head would run up to the flight deck and reset the breakers even before I got out of my seat8.gif It got too where I would grab them and tell them to wait until I got off the plane to do it!!! (there was only about a thousand warnings in the -5 ((I think that was the fuels TO)) saying this was a really bad thing to do).

• 3 weeks later...