Talon

unfast1

greetings and meery christmas to all....before I left Pope in Octber we had many folks heading to AFSOC...I am sure a lot of it had to do with us drawing down folks due to BRAC....AFSOC slots were really never advertised on AMS with the exception of the 6th SOS...my suggestion would be to talk to your Chief or Super, depending on your Sq manning and your experience they may be able to make a call for you to your functional at AFPC....now I am no way in AFSOC so this suggestion is from what I saw at Pope over the last few months before I left....good luck

Dan...I had to throw it back on you, you know that. Plus I knew you would call the Talons out. It is so funny, four years ago the MC-Ps were on the retirement list, and just a few months ago, Gen Wurster said the Shadows will be caring the load in AFSOC until the Talons fix the CWB problems (years out).

Loadsmith...You won\'t see any AFSOC assignments on AMS (except for the 6 SOS and Sensor positions on the Preds in Cannon for enlsited folks). All other assignments are filled through the assignments guys at Randolph. There are some prerequisites for most positions...anyone flying slicks for 3+ years fill theses.

Gary

First... Just put in for orders to Mildenhall or Kadena and hope you get the C-130 side (AFSOC). Then once you get the orders and you spend 2 years in AFSOC, you can truely see how the grass is greener on the AMC side of the fence. I wanted to go past 20+ years, but AFSOC showed me the light to retire at 20 years. But the answer to your question... just put in orders for a AFSOC base. If you do get orders to Mildenhall and you end up on the KC-135, before you get here try working a swap. It is alot easiser to swap prior to getting here then once you sign in.

Eric

I\'m a load and want to get to Hurlburt. Been in a special ops program for a while just not herks. I just got transfered from another aircraft and finished up Little Rock a couple of weeks ago. Was the chief of DOV for our SO program. Are the deployment time frames the same in AFSOC as they are on slicks? 4 on 4 off?

The various units do various things to balance with aircraft availability, deployment requirements, & proficiency.

Current deployment commitment, while constant, is relatively light. You can expect to be deployed one four month period a year. You can also expect at least one month-long JCET. And you can expect two-four 1-2 week TDYs inbetween. This doesn\'t count pop-up stuff like NEO, Typhoon Relief, etc.

US Herk wrote:

The various units do various things to balance with aircraft availability, deployment requirements, & proficiency.

Current deployment commitment, while constant, is relatively light. You can expect to be deployed one four month period a year. You can also expect at least one month-long JCET. And you can expect two-four 1-2 week TDYs inbetween. This doesn\'t count pop-up stuff like NEO, Typhoon Relief, etc.

That sounds like what I\'m used to. Now if I can just get out of slicks and get to AFSOC. Looks like getting a school slot for a SSgt is out of the question now. While I was at Little Rock they were sending brand new A1C\'s to New Mexico for school like crazy. Most of them did not want AFSOC and I did but, was told there were no more school slots.

The answer is get in contact with the Functional at AFPC through your leadership and see what he can do. That\'s the only way in. I was a T2 FE then had an unfortunate family emergency which caused me to move humanitarian/EFMP wise back to LRAFB out of AFSOC (quite a rare thing for T2 folks). I know the process quite well since I went there from the 50th initially.

Bottom-line work through your chain of command in your unit & it should happen for you. T2 may not be in as high of demand as the Shadows now that the CWB issue is a topic of discussion. I\'m sure the slots have been cut considerably but that\'s merely speculation - I\'m out of the loop these days.

If you want Hurlburt you might want to consider going to the 6th SOS they have a great mission & I hear the old reasons for not going (cops running the show, bad TDY\'s, blah blah blah) are no longer true. I\'ve heard great things about the 6th - I once was seriously thinking about it but have since passed up that chance.

My last bit of advice though - no matter what airframe you go to in AFSOC, if you\'ve got a substantial amount of time remaining in the AF you mine as well accept the fact that it\'s highly likely to \"smell\" Cannon in your career.

unfast1, what exactly is your background prior to 130s, I only ask because I am curious to see if folks are really getting sent to Herks from other airframes when I know many folks who want 17s...I understand you wanting to get to Hulrburt, many of my friends are down there and they love the flying/mission...it sucks that you are just getting to Dyess...you are most likely going to have to fulfill your time on station requirements there before they would entertain any assignments. Also you may enjoy where you are and after some time hear from folks at other bases that may spark your interest as well. Good luck and fly safe.

As to the 6th SOS, that assignment can be great or horrible depending on just what you want out of your career. Get to learn another language and be gone most of the time to your selected area of the world thats cool, but when I retired they were gone lots and lots! I wont say any more about it simply because I am not sure what the classification status of those guys and their mission are.

The other guys are right, the MC-130P is always in need of people. I was at the 9th from 93-98 and 01-04 (at Eglin, next door to Hurlburt) and I don\'t think we ever had a full roster of loadmasters.

I am not sure what the reserve status is for the 5th SOS which was/is our associate squadron, but if they come out of the picture AFSOC will need to about double the 9ths manpower to make up for it. Downside of the 9th and the MC-P? If your there long enough you will get tapped to serve a sentence at Kirtland with the schoolhouse (a non voluntary voluntary assignment, thats where I was 98 - 01) or maybe England or Okinawa depending on what they do with commando vision or whatever they are calling the proposed restructuring now.

You could also put in for the Womabat, the MC-W, but that would put you at Cannon in North Mexico, uh I mean New Mexico for an assignment but I would image there will be some sweet Pacific or Alaska TDY\'s out of that squadron.

I really loved flying with the P models, lots of fun. Much more than just a fuel truck LOL

I have trouble seeing then letting you go from Dyess sooner than two years on station (and that only with luck and some deals being made) but on the plus side that gives you a couple of years to work with your functional (or dysfunctional if he is like some of the FE guys we had there) as well as getting a hold of your contemporary\'s on your desired airframe and squadron.

Good luck

Dan

MC_3_6-1.jpg

MC-130PNVGtaxi.jpg

TalonIIVito wrote:

My last bit of advice though - no matter what airframe you go to in AFSOC, if you\'ve got a substantial amount of time remaining in the AF you mine as well accept the fact that it\'s highly likely to \"smell\" Cannon in your career.

Don\'t bet the farm on that.

Latest word on the street is overseas units stay put. No pure fleet, no Cannon for T2, no nothing.

In fact, Cannon is in very real danger of being returned to BRAC due to lack of MILCON $ in short term (latest MILCON req\'ts are in the billions (as in multiple billions)). Wombat was supposed to go there & work out of contingency/temp hangars...until EPA found out & nixed that \"good idea\". The personnel ramp up required by BRAC & EIA cannot be met with predators & little planes alone.

Granted, most of this is rumint, but it\'s good rumint. I\'ll bet AFSOC fights to get wombat there somehow, but we\'ll see what their MX conops is...

I know the shifty-fifty has asked \"So when id AFSOC going to show up and save the city\".

There are many other companies within the local populace that they themselves don\'t dump money back into the community.

US Herk…how\'s the weather, I have will be coming out your way next weekend for the annual pilgrimage to the SIM?