Hot Coffee Jugs

stevehering

Our company represents Mansfield Aircraft Products - one of the suppliers of the hot beverage jugs for the C-130 galley. The other manufacturer is BE Industries. We sell these jugs to the GSA and are having difficulty figuring out how you guys get them in the field. Do you order from GSA direct?

We also repair the existing units even though they semm to be expendable in the NSN system.

I can\'t remember how much they cost, but we got them through normal supply sources. I don\'t think we ordered them from our central aviation supply in the Coast Guard. Probably from a military depot. I don\'t think they were a GSA catalog item.

We\'ll swap a few parts around, and maybe order the gaskets, but I don\'t think we repaired many anymore, like the old days.

Was anybody at LRF when they found the airman no-stripe washing out the jugs with 100% bleach, not rinsing them, and then filling them with coffee/water? Sure made the coffee taste bad/worse/all the above. Then there was the crew chief who used his airplane\'s jugs to drain hydraulic fluid into:blink: . Something you really didn\'t need on those South America \"around the horn\" trips. Not enough Lomotil made to overcome a good dose of Skydrol.:blink:

Guest cobra935o

I didnt realize anyone actually still used the metal ones, we had our own igloo type coolers at Kadena that held way more water and were good for those long trips to Thailand and back!!

Nathan

The original post is talking about the ones that fit into the galley up front, designed for coffee.

I don\'t know how our -21 people fix/repair/replace these, nor an I sure its -21. Hell may be flight kitchen for all I know, but I DO KNOW that if the ground pin is missing and you come off the top of the plane soaking wet, the put a hand on the jug while having your other hand is on the metal galley wall you will electrocute the sh*t out of yourself:woohoo:

Dan

2029.gif

Just before I retired at Dyess many moons ago (in the MAC era) had a young Lt. order Koolaid instead of coffee.( I didn\'t drink coffee so didn\'t bother me). Just so happened the vice wing king was flying with us and shortly after Takeoff he ask the load to get him a cup of coffee.When the load told him we didn\'t have coffee all \"old Billy hell\" broke loose, nomally I never felt sorry for a Lt. but that day the old sarge even felt sorry for him.

Mike

Being an old instructor type FE, we always asked our young FE\'s during a check ride, what the plastic cover and the tube in the lid was for.

I know it is about as stupid as the question concerning the rigging of the main entrance door and how many degrees the center tube can rotate...

Happy New Years to all!!

Greg

Dan Wilson wrote:

Graywolf wrote:

You sir have slandered the good name of aircrew everywhere!

I shall challenge you to fisticuffs Sir!! (or not)

Dan

Wasn\'t any place to get any coffee at Det1 unless you borrowed it from the pot in the scheduling room and that wouldn\'t go over real well. If you got clean drinking water, you can make your own coffee in a rinsed out C-rats can sitting on the exhaust of a ground power unit with the little packet of C-rats instant coffee. The exhaust fumes give it a wonderful flavor!

Bring on the fisticuffs! The first shirt will get us out of the brig when they need us to fly!

Okay, I can understand that. If you cant get any then you cant get any.

I used to buy a cheap drip coffee maker when we would go on the road (15 bucks or so) and use a plug adapter for 220 and just plug it into the hot cup receptacle and spin the timer. I always had fresh coffee making on those long overwater legs or just on damn cold mornings :)

SEFEGeorge, sure maybe flight kitchen coffee wasn\'t too good but if you left it turned on for two or three days then it started to develop a nice body and bouquet!! I really really preferred they got both jugs full of coffee, for water we usually had igloos that got filled with ice water.

And the covered hole in the center of the hot jug is for dry ice in case you have something you want to keep cold, you know, like those cheap kidneys you can buy in Kenya for resale on the black market in the states or ur-up:)

The most unforgivable sin was when we were flying the E model out of Hurlburt for a pro mission and the pilot had the jug filled with cinnamon chicory foofoo coffee - grrrrrrr Not good when your FE on the old pilot pro dont get his smokes OR coffee!!!

Dan

Many years ago, we had a Talon 1 at Lockheed-Ontario (where I used to work) input for PDM and various Modifications. The contract only paid for work identified in a pre-negotiated work spec., and the Air Force at one time had deleted the galley clean-up for cost-savings....to make a long story short, the coffee that came in on the airplane was still in the pot ~7 months later.

As part of the pre-flight, a crew member (I don\'t remember whether it was the FE or the Scanner--we normally didn\'t have a LM in the back) just pulled the pot out of the slot, and poured in fresh (without looking inside). After take-off, somebody asked for a cup. When I pushed the button, a large, black gummy drop made it halfway to the cup and then, like elastic, sprung itself back to the nozzle. I said, \"Uhhhh, I don\'t really think this stuff is drinkable\".....

Needless to say, the cleanliness of the pots became a \'boldface\' preflight item for the preflight.....

Dan, Dan, Dan...there goes your 4.0 Checkride :)

\"And the covered hole in the center of the hot jug is for dry ice in case you have something you want to keep cold, you know, like those cheap kidneys you can buy in Kenya for resale on the black market in the states or ur-up\"

Every old Fart knows that those were there to warm baby bottles...

Greg

Dan Wilson wrote:

Baby bottles? Really?

Wow, never hear that before!

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

The hot water/coffee jugs used by the civilian fleet during the \'50 and \'60\'s had the twist plug in the top so that glass baby bottles could be warmed. I verified this thru my Dad, who is a retired Pan Am Captain 48 to 76 as I brought home a lid from one of the coffee jugs and asked him if he knew what it was for.

I was told by a Lockheed Tech rep that Lockheed bought a load of these as surplus in the very early 60\'s because the airlines were going away from the coffee jugs and replacing them with the coffee makers.

I was a P-3 FE and a C-130 FE and the coffee jugs were interchangeable ...also with the C141 and C5. Some of the newer ones I saw, built in the mid 1960\'s, had the twist plug in the top embossed with the words Glass only, no plastic bottles.

Ya learn something everyday...and as a Instructor FE, we always loved to sit around and play \"Stump the Dummy\".

Take Care,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...