USMC KC-130J Thread

Jansen

Don

All the active duty USMC units have completed their transition to the KC-130J, they are almost done equipping them with their full complement of 15 aircraft. Then the NY and TX USMCR units will start getting J's, 12 per squadron. Then the Navy will turn in its T's for J's. At least that was the plan about a year ago.

Bob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the Navy will turn in its T's for J's. At least that was the plan about a year ago.

Bob

Key words being "the plan about a year ago". I believe I remember reading where the Navy has postponed replacing their T's and have move the money towards F-35. Will try to find the link.

Though with the recent Congressional look at cutting the US F-35B(UK would still get theirs) program totally, cutting the order for the US F-35A/C's in half. Who knows whats going on.

The following two KC-130Js have been confirmed as delivered:

5645 168066 VMGR-152 MCAS Futenma

5646 168067 VMGR-352 MCAS Miramar

The delivery of 168068 (5647) for VMGR-352 will be the 42nd USMC KC-130J. There is talk that the USMC order got bumped up to 47 because the last one will be the Fat Albert replacement for the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration team, which is currently a USMC KC-130T staffed by Marines.

The USMC as of about 6 months ago had decided to have a 15 UE for its three active duty Sq. They had been saying 12 but now with three semi gunships per squadron the total will be 15. Including one for Pax River that makes 46. Then each reserve Sq gets 12, no gunships for them. I had not heard about the Navy canceling the J but would not be surprised.

Bob

The delivery of 168068 (5647) for VMGR-352 will be the 42nd USMC KC-130J.

Huh? #28 & #29 are just now coming up the production line.

There is talk that the USMC order got bumped up to 47 because the last one will be the Fat Albert replacement for the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration team, which is currently a USMC KC-130T staffed by Marines.

Unless something has changed, the C-130 that is Fat Albert, is a USN aircraft, not a USMC aircraft, therefore the Navy would be ordering the replacement, not the USMC.

Yes, Fat Albert is flown by the USMC and USMC markings but it is a Navy Command.

Huh? #28 & #29 are just now coming up the production line.

Are you refering to 168069 (5660) and 168070 (5661)? That would be #43 and #44 for the USMC.

Did USMC take delivery of 168065 5644 and to what squadron?

One of my sources said it was delivered to VMGR-152 at MCAS Futenma, but I cannot confirm as there is no second source or picture so far.

Are you refering to 168069 (5660) and 168070 (5661)? That would be #43 and #44 for the USMC.

So the USMC has received 30+ aircraft in last 5 years or so? That would be about half of the "J" production in those 5 years.

5660 & 61 are 72J28 and 29... 72J = KC, 28/29 = production number for that series.(not sure when they did that, but was under impression it started when the J's did) Maybe it's the 28th/29th plane since LM stopped using the C/N and started the 72J28 system. Who knows.

So the USMC has received 30+ aircraft in last 5 years or so? That would be about half of the "J" production in those 5 years.

5660 & 61 are 72J28 and 29... 72J = KC, 28/29 = production number for that series.(not sure when they did that, but was under impression it started when the J's did) Maybe it's the 28th/29th plane since LM stopped using the C/N and started the 72J28 system. Who knows.

My understanding is that 72J is the contract code, but there may have been another code used previously.

There is a list of all USMC KC-130Js in the sixth post of this thread, here is the link:

http://herkybirds.com/showthread.php?2395-USMC-KC-130J-Thread&p=18598#post18598

The first KC-130J was produced in 1999; they have been making them for quite a while.

KC-130T (Reserve only):

USMCR KC-130T squadrons are planned to transition to the KC-130J beginning in FY14. KC-130T aircraft will be retired incrementally as KC-130J aircraft are delivered to 4th MAW VMGR squadrons.

KC-130J Transition: 4thMAW KC-130Ts will be retired as KC-130Js are delivered in (3) plane detachment increments. The first (3) KC-130Js are planned to deliver during FY14. VMGR-452 (Newburgh, NY) will transition to the KC-130J first, followed by VMGR-234 (Ft Worth, TX).

•Projected IOC (6 KC-130Js):

•VMGR-452 –FY15

•VMGR-234 –FY18

•Projected FOC: (12 KC-130Js):

•VMGR-452 –FY23

•VMGR-234 –FY24

http://www.aviationweek.com/media/pdf/Check6/FY11MarineAviationPlan.pdf

Yep, I posed the question last night at work in how the 43rd and 44th KC-130J is labeled 72J28 / 29 coming down the line. All seemed to scratch their heads. Most who I talked to have been on the line since the start of the J program, but none could remember the KC-130J coming down the line as something other than a 72J. This is kind of a curiosity that killed the cat thing for me, so will try to see if I can come up with the answer. Also the use of the 44J, 47J, 72J, type designations came about with the J program, so it wasn't like 20 some odd KC-130J were made then they started using the "new" numbering system vice the C/N going down the line.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I posed the question last night at work in how the 43rd and 44th KC-130J is labeled 72J28 / 29 coming down the line. All seemed to scratch their heads. Most who I talked to have been on the line since the start of the J program, but none could remember the KC-130J coming down the line as something other than a 72J. This is kind of a curiosity that killed the cat thing for me, so will try to see if I can come up with the answer. Also the use of the 44J, 47J, 72J, type designations came about with the J program, so it wasn't like 20 some odd KC-130J were made then they started using the "new" numbering system vice the C/N going down the line.

I just thought of an old conversation that may explain the mystery. Someone told me awhile ago that the KC-130Js were originally modified after the production line, rather than during production as it is now. Perhaps the first bunch of KC-130Js before IOC were built as regular C-130Js and then modified, but production KC-130Js were given the 72J code?

Using my production list, this would track 72J01 (5555/166513) to around 2004, which was around the time that the KC-130J officially entered service with the Marines.

That makes since. We are doing the same with the HC/MCs, actually the first two 73J01 & 02 were for the most part plane jane going down the line. 03,04,05, & 06 pretty much got all the mods as they went down the line. Also the USCG "J's were built plain jane on the line, and then modded later.

Also the terminology Lockheed uses for the numbering system:

382V is the model number.

73JXX is the version number.

Thought of something today...

I still like your latest theory on the numbering sequence.

But.... There is always on of those around LOL...

Using your theory, say they came down the line as a standard C-130J, I wonder what the version number on them was? I ask (to no one in particular) because I wouldn't think a Tanker wouldn't have been say modded from a normal USAF short C-130J. Kind of hard to imagine installing the Enhanced Cargo System to take it back out at the end of the line. (The USMC J's are the only "J" that still have the old school cargo side rails and floorboards. But then again, I can see the US Government wasting the money in doing this as well :)

Still trying to see if there is a listing of all "J" models with version numbers listed as well. One would think there is one somewhere.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee
An extra thought...

382U short bird

382V Stretch

Always remember U comes before V. You must have a short bird before you get a stretch.

HC-130J pretty much a vanilla J? I don't think so.

Start with a KC-130J and add ECHS, FLIR, UARRSI, 60/90, Dual Satcom, Enhanced Vision Provisions......and the list goes on. The MC's even more so.

It's like saying a Z06 is pretty much the same as a Factory Corvette.

Still trying to see if there is a listing of all "J" models with version numbers listed as well. One would think there is one somewhere.

I started compiling a list of version numbers here: http://herkybirds.com/showthread.php?1865-Contract-Batch-Numbers&p=17694#post17694

Lars Olausson's list apparently has the version numbers for each aircraft, but it may not be always accurate. He has asked for my input and will be sending me a copy; I can look it up when it gets here, but someone else who has it may reference it for you.

Start with a KC-130J and add ECHS, FLIR, UARRSI, 60/90, Dual Satcom, Enhanced Vision Provisions......and the list goes on. The MC's even more so.

I think P3_Super_Bee meant from a production standpoint going through Final Assembly, since he works on the line at Marietta. I know that a lot of the HC-130J's mods were done post Final Assembly, which is why it took 5 months to go from the paint shop to delivery. Most of what you listed was installed in the mod shop.

382U short bird

382V Stretch

Always remember U comes before V. You must have a short bird before you get a stretch.

Vanilla as in had VERY LITTLE of that put into aircraft going down the line...

I think P3_Super_Bee meant from a production standpoint going through Final Assembly, since he works on the line at Marietta. I know that a lot of the HC-130J's mods were done post Final Assembly, which is why it took 5 months to go from the paint shop to delivery. Most of what you listed was installed in the mod shop.

Exactly... Thanks.

382U short bird

382V Stretch

Don't matter when you're only using the codes for a reference relating to Lockheed terminology. As it was brought up that 73J, 51J, 44J, whatever J, was thought to be a "contract" code, but has been determined that it is a "Version Number" I just happened to throw up the 382V referencing it as a model number that's it. No more no less to the conversation.

I have to disagree on the vanilla flavor and then I'll let it go. UARRSI (Special cab top with thicker skin and smaller doubler, special fwd hog trough, special drain line system) : FLIR (FS 93 bulkhead reinforced, Adapter installed and special radome) : 60/90 (Special brackets for larger wire on wings and in fuselage, special Triangular clamps and additional equipment on hog trough) Enhanced Vision (Pressure bulkhead and fairing added).

All of these things were planned for and installed as it went down the line and the first 73J emerged from the production building with all of them installed.

This was not a post production mod effort, you could not have done some of the things in a post production environment. Look at the massive finger doublers on a post production UARRSI install and compare it to 73J's. Not the same thing.