M in MC

Dutch

The letter in front of the Basic Mission Designation of C is the Modified mission designation of M

M stands for Multimission

other examples

A - Ground Attack [1962-today]

C - Transport [1962-today]

D - Drone Director [1962-today]

E - Special Electronic Mission [1962-today]

F - Fighter [1978/86-today]

H - Search and Rescue, Medevac [1962-today]

K - Tanker [1962-today]

L - Equipped for Cold Weather Operations [1962-today]

M - Missile Carrier [1962-1971/73] (see note 1)

M - Mine Countermeasures [1972/74-1976] (see note 1)

M - Multimission [1977-today]

O - Observation [1972/74-today]

P - Maritime Patrol [1972/74-today]

Q - Unmanned Drone [1962-today]

R - Reconnaissance [1962-today]

S - Antisubmarine Warfare [1962-today]

T - Trainer [1962-today]

U - Utility [1962-today]

V - Staff Transport [1962-today] (see note 2)

W - Weather Reconnaissance [1962-today]

Its official mission is Infiltration, exfiltration and resupply of special operations forces.

But the M is really a catch all...

Actually the M in this case means \"MONEY\"!!!

The M (yes, multi-mission)designation allows the aircraft to tap into SOCOM money instead of just living off of big blues dribbles of the pennys left after the fighter toys are bought.

That was the one of the primary reasons for redesignating the HC-130P & N models to MC-130P\'s. Those AFSOC toys they put on those airplanes aint cheap :silly:

Dan

The attached may help soneone else out there that is as handy capped as I am. I found it on a news group today. [file name=How_to_Understand_US_Military_Aircraft_Designations.doc size=35840]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/files/How_to_Understand_US_Military_Aircraft_Designations.doc[/file]

bobdaley wrote:

The MC130P passes gas to helicopters.

The MC130E/H are supposed to be able to do insertions and I think pass gas.

I don\'t know what the MC130W does, it sounds like it is MC130H lite>

Bob

Bob, by the time I retired the P model did just about everything the E and H model did. Refueling, resupply, airdrops etc. Thanks to commanders that always added more and more to the mission statement! We didnt do seizures or FARP (even thought FARP kept raising its ugly head). Besides the only thing they could do that we could not was low level girly style!ohsnap1yh4.gif

We didnt have the TFTA to set and forget LOL

I think the W model is an all in one but not sure.

Dan

Dan Wilson wrote:

Bob, by the time I retired the P model did just about everything the E and H model did. Refueling, resupply, airdrops etc.

Yes. Just not quite as well. :laugh: :kiss:

We didnt do seizures or FARP (even thought FARP kept raising its ugly head). Besides the only thing they could do that we could not was low level girly style!We didnt have the TFTA to set and forget LOL

Set & forget...yeah, that\'s how it is. Autopilot too. Cush. Easy. ;)

Whisky has no TF, no ECM. Has high-speed ramp/door, UARRSI, SOFI-type stuff (FLIR, etc.), 241 radar - but 1 nav. Talon-lite or shado-plus - however you wanna look at it. :laugh:

Dan

Remember the M stands for more, and more and more. If have to remember, the MC-P world does have the FARP mission. I have been doing it for 10+ years on three different continents in three different operations. Don\'t sell us short. I\'ll be the first to give the Talons a mission if it is their mission set. Each acft trains to certain standards even though we can all do each others mission.

Gary, yeah your right about the FARP, I forgot the 67th and 17th - oops.

Did you do it at the 9th? There has only been a couple of short periods there that I can remember we actually had to do it.

The W has UARRSI? How did they manage to get the production for that fired up again? Maybe they should have finished the fleet if they had it going again, nothing like a force multiplier that you don\'t have! (but then again they never made you do three IRF\'s direct from Florida to Asia on a non IFR bird:side: )

Dan