I need help id\'ing something DIRCM or FLIR?

Herkeng130

Not in a good mounting location for either a DIRCM or a FLIR.

Since it\'s location is between the engines, it could be some kind of IR jammer similar to the pod that Talon 1\'s and Talon 2\'s used to haul around....

US Herk wrote:

FLIR is being used generically - turreted infrared sensor, infrared detection set, etc. All are same thing, just that they can look anywhere - not just forward. ;)
Yes, I was not using FLIR to mean just forward... I used that term because most of the people have used and heard that particular term for many years.

That is the airplane that had the cockpit fire at Dyess in 1974.

Bruce Ferrier was the wing king, he had been 37 TAS Commander. He got fired.

They rebuilt it and it became a Senior Hunter spook aircraft at Harrisburg PA. Some kind of electronic spooks, maybe that is why it seems to have a phony tank and whatever that gadget is.

After PA ANG got their J\'s it went to the PRANG to haul trash and was last known to be at Hurlburt hauling trash.

Bob

bobdaley wrote:

That is the airplane that had the cockpit fire at Dyess in 1974.

Bruce Ferrier was the wing king, he had been 37 TAS Commander. He got fired.

They rebuilt it and it became a Senior Hunter spook aircraft at Harrisburg PA. Some kind of electronic spooks, maybe that is why it seems to have a phony tank and whatever that gadget is.

After PA ANG got their J\'s it went to the PRANG to haul trash and was last known to be at Hurlburt hauling trash.

Bob

So this airplane is now stationed at Hurlburt? Still carrying the PR tail code?

Bob,

Yep, that\'s the same airplane that burned the nose off back in 1974. I was stationed at Dyess at the time -- in fact I was driving down the flightline road with my wife & kids (pre 9/11 security) & saw smoke coming out of 815\'s forward escape hatch. This was in the pre-cell phone days (prehistoric), so I had to hunt down a land line.

Colonel Ferrier was a really nice guy, but a victim of circumstances. I think he was also the wing king when we flunked 2 ORI\'s in a row, but one of the problems there was that we were just getting the \"brand-new\" 1974 H-models & trying to integrate them into the E-model fleet. The Pope people were pissed because they had to pull back to back Mildenhall rotes. Aaah, the good old days -- Bravo & Delta Squadrons!

OK, I\'ll sit down now.

Don R.