62 models

bobdaley

I was looking up some stuff for Hush on his Berlin for Lunch Bunch and then talking with Tiny Clark about the 62 models and came up with a question.

Back in the early 70\'s the USAF started dumping its most beat up E\'s on the Guard and Reserve. The 62\'s and any real doggy 63\'s and 64\'s they had. The Guard and the Reserve fixed them up and now the USAF is getting them all back. The only Guard units with E\'s are the PRANG and LRF and the Reserve has none.

Anyhow my question is, there were 6 62 models not counting ABCCC that did not go to the ARF. Three were former MEAFSA later Jackpot later Berlin E\'s later Pacer Coin 62-1819,1822,1828. Two were MEAFSA, Jackpot E\'s 62-1821,1827.

The only other one was 62-1855 still with the 62AS? Anyone know why it did not go to the ARF?

Thanks

Bob

If I\'m not mistaken (I am often) 1855 belonged to the Kadena rescue folks for awhile and was used as their slick pro bird. They retired it to AMARC a few years back. When the big CWB problem came up LRF rescued the rescue castoff from the boneyard to once again provide useful service training the nexgen

That\'s a fact Jim. It was close to 38,000EBH, but had several years left. Kadena was trying to find someone who wanted her, but had no takers. Later, when the cracks were being discovered, someone made the late choice to go get her out of the boneyard. Good flying airplane out of there.

1855 was a good flying airplane but it always had lots of problems with corrosion (all over).

Didn\'t Kadena turn it in to AMARC because of generalized corrosion as well?

I don\'t remember if it was this one or 7898 that still had to old original E model outer wings, didn\'t even have x-valves. I would have thought they were ready for the scrap yard long ago but guess not. Lots of embarrassing fuel transfer attempts on that plane LOL

Dan

Guest cobra935o

I worked on 1855 while it was stationed with the 16th SOS at Hurlburt, then when I got to Kadena and saw it over there I couldnt believe it. Yes it was still a true E model, -7\'s, no X-valves, the works. It really screwed me up having to look up the -7 numbers every time we went to fly it.

Anyway, we did try to find someone who wanted it before we sent it to the boneyard, no takers so thats where we left it. There was some corrosion, but not as bad as we had on some of the shadows that were over there. It seems there were always getting some sort of major repairs for that. Everything was good on 1855 when we got rid of it, atleast from what we could see. I think it was due a depot though, so they could have found something there if they had to send it when LR picked it up. Oh by the way, Kadena hasnt been in the 130 rescue business for a few years.

Nathan

Hey Nate, hows things going there in the penitentiary?

Did 1855 fly good for you at Kadena?

When it was at Hurby it almost always got off the ground, I really don\'t remember the plane canceling a mission.

I do remember when the poor plane was down for over a year because of belly and wheel well corrosion.

It may be an old school plane but whoever got it should get good performance out of it:)

Now 7898 was an electrical pig, that plane had more electrical gremlins that any other plane I have flown.

Dan

Guest cobra935o

Dan,

Should be outta here by Nov at least. I can say I have been ready to leave since the week after I got here, but have the made the most out of it, and now that I am not flying anymore, it really sucks to have to walk all the way across that flight line to get to a building I hate to go to and dont have a real job in anymore. After 11 years of flying, the functional manager for maint told me I could come back, what an offer, but no thanks, atleast not until I explore all the options and figure out that is the only one I have, hehe.

1855 was a good flyer, I took that thing all over the pacific, even into India. Actually Scott, the former owner of Hercules HQ was, crewing that bird for most of the time I was at Hurlburt. I think all the corrosion problems got worked out at Hurlburt before it got to Kadena, cuase I sure dont remember any major work having to be done on that thing, but when it came to the shadows, there was always something.

7898 was the 8th\'s bird, that should explain it all, we always had the best maintainers in the 16th, and a higher priority for parts then any talon ever did!

Nathan

Not flying anymore? Did you get medically bagged?

If that is what happened I can tell you that flight (klown) surgeons office there is about as f\'ed up an organization as I ever sic\'ed the IG on. When I got there there was some really good docs but when I left they were a bunch of boobs, the Head FS was a friggin eye doc.

You know I never thought about it but I started my tour there with the legal office and ended it with the IG\'s office, guess you could say that base was glad to see me go LOL

Dan

Guest cobra935o

Yup, Med DQ\'d from being an FE, say I have no depth perception. I went to Brooks, and they wrote on my waiver package to AETC, that they thought I was good to go, but that I cant scan acft wihtin 200 meters. I thought with that statement on there AETC would never approve the waiver, well they did. I got back here and they sent it up to the Career Field Functional Manager, and he said I didnt meet the min requirements according to the AFI, so they took my AFSC away. It sucks, but I didnt really like the current variant I was on anyway, so maybe that meant it was time to move on to something else.

The flight surgeons office here hasnt really changed at all, they were the ones that started this whole mess with me, and I have been debating or not to file a complaint on them. They dont have too many regs to know, and they cant seem to get them straight.

Nathan

Well the flight doc that started the crap with me was McCreary, he is such a loser. He is a chiropractor (osteopath) and I have trouble believing the Air Force even allows that career field let alone let that quack be a flight surgeon.

He has a good history too, Air Force - Private Practice - Army - Private Practice - Air Force.

Man he is a loser all the way around, when I sic\'ed the 58th SOW IG on him, he starts copping an attitude on the 06 from the 58th LOL. Needless to say I ended up getting my 12 waivers in the end of it.

Sorry to hear you ended up on the short end of the goofball train too.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cobra935o

I dont know that 1855 got a new wing box, as far as I know nothing was wrong with the old one(no restrictions), and its been at LR for the past few years, or at least since 04, early 05 time frame.

Nathan

6575chief wrote:

1855 was a great plane. 7898 spent more time in the air on jacks then she did flying.
It was 1855 that had that nose gear problem that we could not figure out right? Cameras in the wheel well and the blue ribbon team came up inconclusive right...or did they find a problem? That was about the time I was cross training.

Guest cobra935o

I must have been out of the 16th and in the 4th by that time, cause I dont remember that problem. It did seem like I changed a lot of nose wheel tires in general at Hurlburt for that problem though, maybe we got a bad batch of bearings, tires, or wheels during say 95-96.

Nathan