RAF Hercs being broken up

KoenL

From "Securing Britain in an Age of Uncertainty: The Strategic Defence and Security Review":

"withdraw the C-130J Hercules tactical transport aircraft from service by 2022, a decade earlier than planned, as we transition to the larger and more capable A400M aircraft;"

A bit surprising, considering that they will only have been around for 20-25 years. I think they will likely be sold off to some African countries and rewinged to the new center wing box that entered production last year.

They had to save money somewhere so they had to pick the C-17A, A400M or C-130 to get rid of. Since the A400M can probably do almost everything they do with their Hercs and neither the C-130 or A400M can fullfill the C-17's role it was inevitable. Who knows, in ten years they might change their mind again but otherwise I'm sure they won't have too much trouble selling C-130J's even if they have the highest hours of any C-130J's right now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the two other RAF Herks scheduled to be brpken up have been broken up or sent to the scrapper.

Xv197 that was a test frame at Boscombe Down and XV 304 that landed gear up at Brize Norton?

Thanks

Bob

Last count I have shows 12 RAF K's flyable: 177, 188, 196, 200, 202, 209, 214, 221, 290, 295, 301, 303.

• 2 weeks later...