Load Master

stevehering

As the RAF RAAF and USAF are moving the stretched C130\'s, five pallets are not that attractive.

Had dealing with a USA company, looking at replacing the K loader.

Was very apparent that they understood little about cargo handling and C130 operations.

Suspect you would be better spending your researce elsewhere.

Regards

Col

Greg, we called them married pallets. You could marry up to 5 pallets. They were chained together with wood spacers so the locks would fit. When I mentioned the loadmasters of the Viet Nam era I was refering to the ones that flew 6 to 8 sorties a day and having to make quick loading and unloading decisions. The way we unloaded a 5 pallet train if a 40K wasn\'t available depended on what we could scrounge. Often times it was 55 gallon drums, but we got er done. The longer C-130 is of no concern. Some of the loadmasters flew on the C-141-B which was a lot longer than the stretched plane. Also the air freight folks would be valuable to consult. They are the ones that have to build up the pallets.

Jim

We had Metric Pallets of different lengths we used for airdrop.

Jim talk about using barrels for unloading married pallets.

True, but they had a 3 train at Saigon singed by a whole bunch

of loadies. Used to keep up the tonage hauled. I hauled it Phan Rang

and their 25K was broke. The people at Phan Rang were upset to

say the least. Saigon knew it was broke. I had to use the Forklift

Extraction System to unload it.

Rg Glenn Secrest

On the married pallets,one of the ways was to pull the pallets out with an RTL or other vehicle and as it comes out place the barels under the pallet. Another way was to pull the pallet out by using a forklift with the pallet chained to the transom and as it comes over the ramp, the ramp is lowered. There are other ways, but that decision would be made by the loadmaster at the time. Iknow that these methods are used in the current wars and in other remote locations. I found in my 20 plus years as a loadmater that the dash nine was a good guide, but as the old MATS manual 76-1 said \"there is nothing better than the sterling quality of common sense\" I have also had to combat offload married pallets. Having started out in Air Freight, I listened to their suggestions and learned a lot.

Jim