Picture of the week

bobdaley

Well, there\'s no number painted on the front end....and it looks like ECM antennas (ALR-46?) betweem the nose radome and the center windshield....and another ECM antenna on the forward nose gear door (System 55?). Might be a Talon 1, but if so, it would be before the installation of UARRSI (refuelling)....the VHF antenna above the cockpit was relocated for UARRSI.

It is probably one of the later Blind Bat C-130As modified with some systems seen on AC-130As. Similar C-130As are 56-0508 and 56-0023, both noted with red YD tail codes. They were later modified to AC-130As.

Not seen in the photo is the bathtub ventral antenna and the antenna under the fuselage tail.

The photo can be identified as a C-130A model because;

1. It appears to have the forward fuselage cargo door.

2. The nose profile is not curved but comes to an angle where the nose radome joins the forward cockpit area.

Hope that this is of some use.

Best wishes,

Grant

gmat wrote:

The photo can be identified as a C-130A model because;

1. It appears to have the forward fuselage cargo door.

That in of itself does not necessarily mean an A model.

Early E models had the forward cargo door as well and by inference I would guess all the B models had it too.

Don\'t know about the angle between the radome and flight deck thing though.

Dan

All As, Bs and early Es (62s) had forward cargo doors.That picture dates prior to late 70s because the crew were wearing K2B flight suits rather than Nomex. Most of us trash haulers in the late 60s wore combat fatigues or K2Bs. May not help, but by late 70 we in PACAF had to wear Nomex. Also notice the web holsters, Most of us had holsters made up in country.

Jim

She sure looks like a Blindbat \"A\" to me. If this is 533 she sure looks different from when I crewed her in \'67-\'68. She still had the camoflague paint with a black bottom then. Called her \"Sonny\'s Honey\" and Russ Saley was my assistant. Don\'t recognize the name of the Crew Chief you all are talking about.

PS John Reves, who was a 41st Crew Chief, was the first to have his bird painted all black.