New Spook herk

bobdaley

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC10FE wrote:

Yep, it\'s a -30, although I doubt that one of those spook Hercs would be parked out there amongst all the common-use C-130\'s. I\'m sure it heads straight for a hanger when it lands. The way some of them are parked, it looks as if it would take a bit of jockeying to get them out.

Don R.

If this is the Greenville guys ramp and those are their plane, they would be far from \"common use\".

Don\'t know what they do but I am pretty sure they don\'t do it in a uniform.

Dan

Depending on when that photo was taken, I would imagine that most of the C-130\'s stored there at Greenville are the ex-RAF & ex-RAAF C-130\'s that were slated to go to the Polish & Pakistan AF\'s. That -30 is a mystery.

Can anyone tell me if the USAF uses the Greenville/Lockheed facility for any heavy maintenance?

Don R.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the bump guys but I am the photog that took the picture of this ghost at IFP being used in this thread (1397). In fact the photo that was used was taken from airliners.net and the copyright bar with my name removed. Here it is.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lockheed-Martin-L-100-30/1320241/L/

Now I don\'t mind anyone using my photos for fair use to be used as noteworthy pictures in articles and threads such as this but to remove my name and not to name the source of pics used is not very nice. We are all aviation enthusiasts and speak the same langauge. I never turn down requests to use my work or wouldn\'t even care if you used it without asking but the copyright should have remained. If you read the words on top of the pic on anet it clearly states the copyright and use guidelines.

Not to ge back on topic this ghost flew in with 4 blackhawks one afternoon in Bullhead and I was lucky enough to get back out in the morning to get her as she left early. The crew was very nice and my friend who runs the admin office at the airport spoke to them on the phone right before departure. They saw me getting into position to snap a few shots and were actually waving at me. It was pretty awesome considering who these people were.

Here is my thread from a local NY site about this ghost. It was recently at ISP which is 5 mins from my summer residence. I was not there but another local was who works there was and he got a couple of shots.

http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9990&start=0

One of the highlights of my winter in Nevada was getting this military mystery! Very good stuff indeed. Anybody here that knows anything more please add!

Guest cobra935o

I can see this guys concern with \"his\" picture, but you come on here and act nice like, and go bash on another site? I dont see any reason why Bob would lie about where he got the picture, if you put it out there it literally could have come in from anywhere as most of the pics on this or any other aircraft site in the world.

Nathan

Hi All,

I can see his point. I don\'t want to take credit for any of the pictures on the site. I did put a disclaimer in the Gallery Section that says I did not take any of the pictures, truth be told I did take one of them, but these pictures have mostly been sent to me by others.

Matter of fact I received 3 DVD\'s with over 80,000 pictures a few months ago. I have worked on those DVD\'s trying to pick out pictures for the gallery section almost every day since I got them. There is really no way I can tell who took the pictures unless it is attached to the pictures as some pictures in the Gallery are.

Anyone who took a picture and would like to have credit for it can add a comment to the pictures.

Sorry if someone is offended but I don\'t really see another way pictures can be posted.

Thanks

Bob

Seriously if anyone wants credit for a picture please add a comment.

can see this guys concern with \"his\" picture, but you come on here and act nice like, and go bash on another site? I dont see any reason why Bob would lie about where he got the picture, if you put it out there it literally could have come in from anywhere as most of the pics on this or any other aircraft site in the world

Fact remains that it is the responsibility of the person posting the pics to name sources. Claiming ingorance is great but I could just easily demanded the pic taken down immediately or credit given. Someone along the lines took the time to take my work, open it in PS and chop my name off. This is BS. As for \"coming from anywhere\" Truth be told the majority of them are coming from airliners.net. I am not saying Bob stole anything but it is this laid back attitude about posting pics without knowing or putting any effort into finding out where they came from. Copyright laws are clear cut and very easy to understand and are stated clearly on the site where the pics are stolen. A little more thought should go into right clicking and saving something you find on the net. That is all I am saying.

Matter of fact I received 3 DVD\'s with over 80,000 pictures a few months ago

Scary..

Best I can say is that if you\'ve got such a burr up your butt about the pic and the credit then maybe we should just get rid of it.

Bob, maybe in the biggest, boldest letters you can maybe you ought to put this guys name on the pic.

Alot of us have posted \"Our\" pics on this site or the C-130 HQ site. But I don\'t ever recall anyone crying about not getting credit for any of the pics.

A lot of us have posted \"Our\" pics on this site or the C-130 HQ site. But I don\'t ever recall anyone crying about not getting credit for any of the pics.

You answered your own question. Alot of US posted OUR pics on this site. Little different than going to another site and taking a pic of someone elses and posting wouldn\'t you say?

Then this guy can quit with the complaining.

Not complaining just merely pointing out the obvious. If this is something that you don\'t agree with fine. Yet the facts speak for themselves.

Just how the hell can a photo of a C-130 taken in a public place be copy righted

See, it is this attitude and lack or respect of copyright laws that renders conversations on this topic useless. I suggest you do a little research about photography and copyright law and how it works. Then we can discuss the matter. I took the pic, it\'s mine.

Who gave permission to take the picture

None was needed, what is funny is that my friend in the admin office was on the phone with the crew shortly before takeoff and told them and they said fine. Also I do a lot of work for IFP and have thier permission to be on the property. If you are ever there check behind the ticket counters. You will see more of my work in big size. With the copyright bar still included on the bottom.

OBTW where is the credit for the SW plane beside your post.

My lord... worfffs.gif

I took that shot too buddy, I can do whatever I want, it\'s mine.

http://www.airspaceonline.com/photos/cpg1414/displayimage.php?pid=228&fullsize=1

I know nothing about photography law but what I am trying to figure out is if someone sends a picture that is not identified as to who took it, it can\'t be posted?

How can you find out if it is copyrighted or not and is their a listing somewhere of what is copyrighted and what is not?

Do we have to shut down the Photo Galleries if the pictures are not identified?

Is a dislaimer that we did not take the picture and having a comments section for each picture where someone who wants credit can claim it enough?

I know Casey and I want no hassles or trouble over pictures.

I am way too old for that stuff.

It would only take a second to delete all the pictures but it would be sad.

Bob

Gee, does that mean if I took a picture of your picture I could use it anyway I wanted?

Your question reeks of sarcasim but in case it was an honest question no you are still reproducing copyrighted material and you would need my permission.

I know nothing about photography law but what I am trying to figure out is if someone sends a picture that is not identified as to who took it, it can\'t be posted?

Once a picture is taken from someone without persmission no, even though a third party is not made aware of it.

How can you find out if it is copyrighted or not and is their a listing somewhere of what is copyrighted and what is not?

If it is a pic on the internet it will have the photogs name on it. As we have seen some participate in the practice of removing this info. There is no place to find a listing other than the sites the pictures are hosted on if you know what site it is.

Is a dislaimer that we did not take the picture and having a comments section for each picture where someone who wants credit can claim it enough?

It is a step in the right direction though if you get a photog that demands it taken down you have to comply.

I know Casey and I want no hassles or trouble over pictures.

I am way too old for that stuff.

It would only take a second to delete all the pictures but it would be sad.

Don\'t think it will come to that. Just a little more effort on trying to find and name sources would be enough. Most av-photogs would just love an email asking permission to use the photo and they will comply.

This really is getting old with this guy. Is his name \"Loren\" by any chance? Guys just take the guy\'s pic down and then we can get over the pissing and moaning.

Seems he only joined the board to bitch about HIS pic. He\'s sure not a Herc guy. If he is I\'d be really surprised. Herc people seem to have a lot more common sense that this guy does.

As far as credit for pics, if someone claims that a pic is theirs and wants credit then add their name. With the internet, there is no way to find out just whose pic is whose, and whose ego is going to get bruised by not giving credit for any particular pic.

As far as credit goes, the pic on my profile is of me on the ground at Cherry Point, taken by my load using my camera during a trip from LRF to Cherry Point to pick up some marines and take them to PR. Now then who gets the credit for the pic? Me, the load, the camera maker, USAF, 314 TAW, USMC, Lockheed, Goodyear (it\'s their tire in the pic), and on and on..... :blink:

I took all of the pics on the internet & I demand anyone claiming otherwise prove they took the pic. Only then will I give them credit. I want all pics to immediately be edited to add my screen name on them for proper credit.

The two problems with digital photography are the whole sharing/fair use concept and the fact it is virtually impossible to prove when a digital image is taken - it\'s not like you have the original negatives of the film. For free/fair usage, if you didn\'t intend to share it, why is it on the internet in the first place - credited or not?

Digital images & the internet have severely muddied copyright law - particularly with respect to \"fair use\" rules. The generally accepted \"fair use\" rules are that if it\'s in the public domain, you can use it if you\'re not making money from it. Now, there are many reams of legalese surrounding all of this, and many interpretations, but that\'s what\'s being enforced by the courts.

Bob & Casey - you guys could successfully fight this guy if you wanted to, but it would be a huge legal hassle with lawyers and money. It simply isn\'t worth it. But to be honest, if you\'re not earning money on his image, most copyright lawyers won\'t even take it on - nothing in it for them.

For the future, you can add a simple disclaimer to the gallery along the lines of:

\"All images copyright of original photographer. No commercial use allowed without written permission of original copyright owner. Any copyright owners who wish explicit credit may contact webmaster.\"

This really is getting old with this guy. Is his name \"Loren\" by any chance? Guys just take the guy\'s pic down and then we can get over the pissing and moaning.

If you are referring to me no my name is Nick. I think I made it perfectly clear that you did not have to take my picture down and in no way am I pissing and moaning.

Seems he only joined the board to bitch about HIS pic. He\'s sure not a Herc guy. If he is I\'d be really surprised. Herc people seem to have a lot more common sense that this guy does.

Wrong again. Though I may not be a \"Herc\" guy in your book I enjoy the C130 quite a bit and went through quite a lot to get that shot under those conditions.

it\'s not like you have the original negatives of the film

Oh my, sir if you are going to blurt out stuff please have some sources to back it up. I took the pic, I have the NEF file, (orig) and the jpeg version has my name on it. Trust me it\'s mine.

if you didn\'t intend to share it, why is it on the internet in the first place - credited or not?

I did intend to share it, which is why I uploaded it to the biggest aviation site in the world with my name on it. Have you read any of this thread?

Digital images & the internet have severely muddied copyright law - particularly with respect to \"fair use\" rules. The generally accepted \"fair use\" rules are that if it\'s in the public domain, you can use it if you\'re not making money from it. Now, there are many reams of legalese surrounding all of this, and many interpretations, but that\'s what\'s being enforced by the courts

This is true but you should still seek permission from the photographer. I did not in any way say I was going to seek anything for the use of the pic and I granted this site permission to use it.

Bob & Casey - you guys could successfully fight this guy if you wanted to, but it would be a huge legal hassle with lawyers and money. It simply isn\'t worth it. But to be honest, if you\'re not earning money on his image, most copyright lawyers won\'t even take it on - nothing in it for them

Again I don\'t know why you are overreacting, I didn\'t say I was going to enter into a legal hassle with this site. I could have done any number of things to be an *sshole about this but as a fellow aviation enthusiast I granted permission.

With all due credit, the photo in question is a real sharp image--good job in getting that shot, Nik.

Somehow the picture that showed up here on HerkyBirds.com did not have the copyright block; maybe a mistake, but I don\'t believe anyone here intended that the picture would be used commercially. I do believe this is a non-profit website.

Perhaps the photo that was pasted should be replaced with a copy of the original (including the copyright block), then we would all be happy, right?

OK

I think we have beat this horse to death.

Nick had a good point and we can learn from it.

We will put a discaimer on the page saying that the pictures belong to their photographer. Thank him for their use. Let him know that he can add his name to the comments section for credit if he wants.

Any pictures that come in that have the photographers name on it, we will post them with the name on.

Bob

BTW As far as I know, no one has made a cent off these pictures, especially not Casey and me.

With all due credit, the photo in question is a real sharp image--good job in getting that shot, Nik.

Thanks! I have wintered in IFP for 8 years and have been chasing the certain 130s that come in there for a long time. I am so glad it turned out to be such a ghost and the morning light couldn\'t be better not to mention I had to sprint to get in position. All in all one of the best mornings spotting.

Somehow the picture that showed up here on HerkyBirds.com did not have the copyright block; maybe a mistake, but I don\'t believe anyone here intended that the picture would be used commercially. I do believe this is a non-profit website

Well as Bob stated he acquired the photo from someone who probably chopped off the copright bar, happens a lot I am afraid. In no way did I accuse anyone here of stealing it, just merley asked they are a bit careful with images they get.

OK

I think we have beat this horse to death.

Nick had a good point and we can learn from it.

We will put a discaimer on the page saying that the pictures belong to their photographer. Thank him for their use. Let him know that he can add his name to the comments section for credit if he wants.

Any pictures that come in that have the photographers name on it, we will post them with the name on.

Bob

BTW As far as I know, no one has made a cent off these pictures, especially not Casey and me.

I appreciate your efforts in this matter. As I said we are all spotters and enthusiasts. I am working on some pics I took of the Raiders from Miramar that freqent IFP now will post them here as soon as I can.

I think that would be a HUGE mistake Bob. as mentioned in some previous post here,

some kind of disclaimer should be good enough to keep people happy. and if its available

go ahead and put someones name to it. Nicholas A Vollard wants credit where credit is due.

Thats just swell, Maybe he should put someones name to the little star trek clip he attached?

Demand of others only what you would demand of yourself. I think I heard that somewhere...

John Hedrick