pyrotechnics

hydroguy1

Can anyone out there tell me exactly where the pyrotechnics are located at on a HC-130P(King)? The reason that I am asking is because I have been tasked with doing an operational check on the pyro system and the only thing that I can come up with is the flare launch tubes. If I am wrong on this please let me know. Thanks for everyones help on this.

Your flare launcher tube should be active, I don\'t ever recall a TCTO deactivating them, or at least hey still worked when I retired in 04.

Even though normally the load just chucked em out and didn\'t bother with the launch tubes.

As to the storage, if your talking about LLU-4\'s and that kind of pyro, I want to say they were stored in clips on either side of the cargo door or cargo ramp. If its a rescue bird that has the rescue bin installed they may also be stored there (it been too long since I\'ve seen a loaded rescue bin to remember though). Easiest way to find out is go up to the FE\'s or loads section and get one of them to dig out a -1 and do a quick go over with you.

Dan

When we had our HC\'s until 2000, they all had the flare launcher system activated. The LUU-4\'s were stored on racks on either side of the cargo door (6 each side), the MK-25\'s and MK-6\'s were stored in the cargo door. When we received the MC\'s in 2000, the flare system was working (they all leaked, but worked) and we had to replace most of the LUU-4 brackets. And Dan is right, normally the loads would just toss the pryo out. I do remember tubes 9, 10 being loaded during night, overwater AR training flights, tho. Always fun to find a tube loaded during the BPO.

Take many flour bags, lapes tape the ends (so they don\'t get broken when their driven out of the tubes), load tubes up and now you have a bombing system capable of testing all crew members (except the pilot) ability to eyeball the BZ/DZ (whatever you want to call it). Makes a really nice visual on where it hit! Plus if you let the nav\'s twisted sense of humor take over you can have some real fun and get into some real trouble:lol:

Have you ever noticed, the really really big practical jokes (that usually go really really wrong) are almost always initiated by the Navs?

Eh Eric?

Dan

I agree with Bob. Probably not something you should discuss in this forum.

If you are not familiar with the airframe or pyrotechnics in general you should consult the Tech order or prescribed manual.

\"once the smoke comes out you can\'t get it back in\"

Just my 2 cents.

True Dan very true.

But does it always have to be served up . Those websites show that the aircraft carries that equipment. It does not say specifically how it is stored or where in the airplane.

As I said on my first post just an observation. And if you are not a flyer you may have a different outlook on what is a big deal and what isn\'t.

But we\'re all friends here right.

Sorry if I offended. Won\'t happen again. :cheer:

rsqload wrote:

True Dan very true.

But does it always have to be served up . Those websites show that the aircraft carries that equipment. It does not say specifically how it is stored or where in the airplane.

As I said on my first post just an observation. And if you are not a flyer you may have a different outlook on what is a big deal and what isn\'t.

But we\'re all friends here right.

Sorry if I offended. Won\'t happen again. :cheer:

Don\'t worry about that, it would take alot to offend me and you didn\'t.

OPSEC is always a good thing to run through the filter before posting something on the internet, its just in this case there really isn\'t a concern, its a pretty open system with lots of info available to everybody.

The system pretty much a strategic and tactical value of zero.

Dan

Thank you for your support on this Dan I greatly appreciate it. I was\'nt trying to get any classified info or anything like that. I\'ve only been on these types of birds for two years at a training facility. Before that I was on slicks. I had asked all around my unit for info on these stupid things and no one knew where to look so i figured that id post on here. BTW there\'s a TCTO coming out to have them removed so it shouldn\'t be a problem anymore.