Broke Alaska A Model

Spectre623

This is a long shot but I was wondering if any of you old timers on this board were in the 17th TAS at the Dorf in Jan. 1972. I was stationed at Hill AFB in the 1550 ATTW. I was on night shift when I got a call from the AC of a transient A model. They had RONed at Hill and the TA crew had towed their airplane while they were in crew rest and he thought they had broke it. When I got there the FE told me to look in the left wheel well. What I saw was hard to believe...the lower fwd shoe had popped out of the track on the fwd gear and the jackscrew was bowed like a dogs hind leg and had retracted about 2-3 inches. He says...can you help us...Ha Ha I says. This was way before the depot there was doing 130\'s, only F-4s and O-2s. To make a long story short we jacked it and the only way we could get to the shoes was to enlarge the insp window with a crash axe (no sheet metal support on nights), put the shoes back in place and chain the gear down. Anyway, I was wondering what the guys thought when they got their plane back with the king size hole in the wheel well? The AC said \"Do what you gotta do\"

This was on 4 Jan.1972, according to a letter I got from a Maj. Bruce V. Cook, Commander 17 TAS. Bill