A couple questions

Plaprad

I have a couple questions that maybe you guys can help with.

#1- I'm trying to find the part numbers for the flight control gust locks. The ones we have are shoddy homemade types that no one really trusts. We're trying to get the official ones in. So far I've looked through the 00GE and several -4's to no avail.

#2- Does anyone know if there's a CAST (Command Aircraft Systems Training) manual for J models? I have one for E/H models, but I'd like to get one for J's if there is such an animal.

Thanks.

Edited by Plaprad
My spelling is teh suck.

The Rudder Gust Lock: P/N 404209-1, NSN: 4920-00-775-4329 can be purchased through Lockheed Martin Cooperation. A seperate locking device (all listed in the SMP51-50E) for use when the Booster Assemblies are removed for each of the Rudder, Elevator, and Aileron is 337008-26H-64, NSN 1730-01-265-2303, and again, available through LMC.

I can print out the pages and leave them on your toolbox if you wish . Let me know.

Nick

Just remember.."gust locks" is a misnomer. Folks install those things and wonder why they get elevator and rudder damage when any significant winds/gusts come up. They were never intended to secure the elevator and rudder in significant wind. I don't recall at how high the predicted wind gusts were supposed to be before you pressurize boost packs for snubbing.

From the 00JG-10-1

CAUTION

Do not use mechanical restraining devices on flight controls unless it is not feasible to pressurize the hydraulic system or aircraft does not have hydraulic system capability. If mechanical restraining devices have been installed on

the flight controls, deactivate the flight control system in accordance with TO 1C-130H-2-05JG-00-1, 05-00-15 and 05-00-16. Warning tags shall be installed on the pilot’s and copilot’s control yoke. Failure to comply with this requirement

could cause severe structural damage.

CAUTION

When high winds are anticipated, both the utility and booster systems shall be pressurized every 72 hours.

This applies to operational aircraft or aircraft that may be inactive for extended periods such as

NMC or restricted aircraft that have operational hydraulic and flight control systems.

If high winds persist, system re-pressurization shall be required every 72 hours. Failure to comply with this

requirement could cause severe stuctural damage.

an operational supplement is in work to revise the caution in TO 1C-130H-2-10JG-00-1 section 10-20-01,which states "DO NOT USE MECHANICAL RESTRAINING DEVICES ON FLIGHT CONTROLS UNLESS IT NOT FEASIBLE TO PRESSURIZE THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM OR AIRCRAFT DOES NOT HAVE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM CAPABILITY" GUST LOCKS (RUDDER/ELEVATOR p/n 7435084, AILERON P/N 7937793 are the preferred method to prevent flight control surface wind damage irrespective of the hydraulic system status. ensure contour clamps are not used as gust locks.

Gust locks are really a misnomer if I am not mistaken.

My time wrench bending (on a non herk airframe), they were only safety items for when you were working around the flight controls or for when PCU's (boost packs) or cables were disconnected.

I have found it doesn't take much to snub out the flight controls, generally if you turn on both suction boost pumps it works pretty good for snubbing.

Now if you talking 60 knots plus in the wind, your basically screwed unless you can hanger, got real old at Kirtland losing lines because the birds were all in high wind inspections.

Nothing like a high altitude to give you frequent high winds (low air density) to beat the birds to death on a regular basis.

They're for depot birds with hydraulics deactivated. Most of it is for doing work on the packs and cables, some around the controls themselves. The ones currently in use are homemade and not very well made at that, so we're looking into finding the proper ones.

Thanks Nc, maybe we can get some.

From the 00JG-10-1

CAUTION

Do not use mechanical restraining devices on flight controls unless it is not feasible to pressurize the hydraulic system or aircraft does not have hydraulic system capability. If mechanical restraining devices have been installed on

the flight controls, deactivate the flight control system in accordance with TO 1C-130H-2-05JG-00-1, 05-00-15 and 05-00-16. Warning tags shall be installed on the pilot’s and copilot’s control yoke. Failure to comply with this requirement

could cause severe structural damage.

CAUTION

When high winds are anticipated, both the utility and booster systems shall be pressurized every 72 hours.

This applies to operational aircraft or aircraft that may be inactive for extended periods such as

NMC or restricted aircraft that have operational hydraulic and flight control systems.

If high winds persist, system re-pressurization shall be required every 72 hours. Failure to comply with this

requirement could cause severe stuctural damage.

Thanks Tiny...I figured an AFETS guy would know the specifics

• 9 years later...

Yes when the boost packs have been removed from the aircraft, to prevent tje control surfaces from deflection. But please assist, when the system is working fine, do you still use the same to hold i.e. the rudder in place to protect it from gusting winds?, is it also available for use on the B model!?