High Speed Low Level Air Drop System (HSLLADS)

I read in an article that the MC-130W Combat Spear* airplanes, which are modified from H2s, have a reinforced back end to allow the HSLLADS.

Does anybody know if the structural beef-up is the same as the Combat Talon I and the Combat Talon II airplanes, with extruded rails and doublers from FS737 to FS1041?

*Combat Spear, no longer referred to as Combat Wombat

I heard, but have not seen in writing, that Lockheed was claiming the J-model had incorporated the required structural strength into the empennage design, and was capable of doing HSLLADS without the external reinforcement.

Too good to be true? I dunno....

Ahhhh---memories. I was on the initial flight tests of HSLLADS after the structural mod on the first airplane. That goes back to 1968. We did a lot more than is currently allowed by procedures, but after all, it was a test (with instrumentation) to define and validate the limits.

We blew out the single hydraulic actuator that was on the cargo door (at that time), and as a result, installed the dual door actuators, and the ramp/door sequencing switch.

And by the way, the \"skin doubler\" below the rail from FS737 to 1041 is more than just a skin doubler---it\'s 3/16ths thick \"plate\" aluminum, rolled to conform to the contour.

• 3 weeks later...

US Herk wrote:

TalonOneTF wrote:

At Cannon, I think they\'re using the callsign \"wombat\" & refer to themselves as \"whiskeys\"

They\'re a wombat. :laugh:

Thanks for the C/S info. I heard WOMBAT-71 refueling a V-22 from Kirtland, and I have never heard the WOMBAT C/S before.