C-130(A?) at Greybull,Wyoming,South Bighorn County Airport

Phantom 4

Hello Forum Members,

who can help me with the identification of an ex USAF C-130(A?) at Greybull,Wyoming,South Bighorn County Airport.

I was driving by on sep18.2010

The Fuselage was sitting on the Hawkins and Powers ramp and was in military camo.

The nose, wing and tail was removed.

Only the number 67th TAG was readable next to the door.

Yours sincerely

Phantom4

Hawkins and Powers operated a number of A-models as tankers for a number of years, most of which were originally C-130A-Is that started out at Rhine-Main, Germany. (They weren't used in Vietnam and didn't have the wing mods.) They were painted red and yellow. Since this one is still in military markings, it must be one they got from the boneyard for parts. Get a copy of Lars Olaussan's tail-number book.

I've got a bunch of pictures of the Hawkins and Powers airplanes I took when I visited Greybull back in 2000. At one time I had a page about them but accidentally deleted it and never put it back up.

A year and a half ago there were 5A's and a B at Greybull, the A's were owned by H&P some flew most were for parts.

The A's were 57-0511 N131 HP, 57-0513 N8230H both bought by Total of Florida supposedly for parts?

56-0535 N133FF bought by D&D of Florida also for parts ?

57-0459 N135HP and 56-0507 N132HP bought by Aerosource of Florida also for parts?

The B is 58-0740 which belonged to the IAAFA at Homestead and was destroyed in Hurricane Andrew. It was bought as scrap and shipped to Greybull, don't know why? I heard parts, I was on it after Hurricane Andrew and it was really stripped. I also heard scrap metal, but for that you could scrap it in FL so it is a mystery.

I think what you saw sounds like 740, I'll try to post pics of them and maybe you can identify it.

If anyone can give us an update on Greybull I'd appreciate it Bob

The pics are in the order listed above. I'll add the B seperately

Oh Well the pics did not work, I'll try again. Tried twice no luck. If you want the pics send me a message with your address. Or look in the Gallery 3218G, 3115H, 3220F, 3143, 3166G, 3537H

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

Hawkins and Powers operated a number of A-models as tankers for a number of years, most of which were originally C-130A-Is that started out at Rhine-Main, Germany. (They weren't used in Vietnam and didn't have the wing mods.) They were painted red and yellow. Since this one is still in military markings, it must be one they got from the boneyard for parts. Get a copy of Lars Olaussan's tail-number book.

Sam, I think you're confusing the C-130B-II's that were in Japan with the C-130A-II's at Rhein Main. The B's had a red tail with a yellow nose at Tachi. They were camoflauged when they were at Frankfurt. When I was stationed at Rhein Main the first time (1967 -- 1970) the A-models of the 7406th were unpainted silver birds, although originally they had the day-glo nose and tails.

Don R.

Don, During my tour in the 7406th from 62 to 66 don't remember any of our acft. painted day-glo. When I arrived in the unit our acft. were unpainted except for the tail which was red. At some point during the latter half on my tour, acft. begain to return from mod still unpainted except for the tail which was now painted gray.