Fuselage diameter.

casey

It is actually a circle of about 165.2 inches in diameter. We don\'t actually notice it, especially on a short Herk, because the center wing box and wheel well pods disrupt the appearance.Then, the nose from 245 forward and the tail at 737 change the shape.

So, my answer would be that the \"aluminum tube\" we fly around in is, indeed, a circle. :)

Thanks for the info. It was 245 to 737 I was wondering about. I knew it had to be about 13.5 feet but then I saw it listed as 3.22m (just over 10 feet) and I got confused.

I believe the difference in the curvature above and below the center line (wl ?) forward of 245 makes 245 -737 look a little squashed.

As best my memory serves me, there is a little less curvature on the belly, as compared to the sides and top. The points marked on the picture above are where the break occurs. That is just about the location of the cargo floor, and the chine plates that run the length of the cargo compartment.

A mechanical drawing would no doubt call out the change in the curvature, but I just don\'t have one handy...

The \"break\" in the fuselage curvature can be seen in the current Photo of the Week( 2/27/08), the USMC KC-130J. Looking just below the crew entrance door you can see the line going back to the forward end of the APU/Wheelwell housing (the line actually continues underneath the housing), and continuing from the aft end of the housing just below the Paratroop door, ending at F.S. 737, where the cargo ramp attaches.

Thanks for the info guys. Having looked closely I can now see the difference in the curvature.

I am not using using a specific drawing, just a mix of drawings and photos. If anyone has any accurate line drawings and would be willing to hook me, I would be most appreciative.

The best drawing I know is from 1978, published in \'Famous Aircraft of the World\' from Koku-Fan. I have scanned this drawing and send it to you by email.

I have also made a comparison between this drawing and a small airplane station diagram from a Lockheed handbook, it is a pdf file, scale 1/100. Hope it helps...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I\'ve been working on a 1/10 scale model of the Herc for a number of years (too many). Besides a number of engineering drawings obtained from MicroFiche at the Smithsonian, I have a very valuable little blue C-130 E/H HANDBOOK. In it are given the following measurements using standard nautical terms. Starting with a waterline of 0, the bottom of the fuselage is at WL126. It\'s crazy I know but if you draw a horizontal line and call it WL, everythings goes up from there. The break on the bottom occurs at WL 141.4, the cargo floor at WL 146, the center line at WL 200 and, top of fuselage is at WL 285. If you use the top 285 minus the center line 200 gives you the radius. Hope this helps.

Hi I hope this helps The herc is measured in three way 1 is the water line but also uses bl (buttock line) and fuselage station FL The BL is actually the width of the a/c from the center of the plane. So starting from the middle of the a/c you go left or right. For example the wheel well bulkheads start on both side are at BL61.25\"L and 61.25\"R so maybe using the BL will give you the diameter of the fuse. I am also pretty sure WL 200 in not the exact center, it is the flight deck floor WL and the top of the wheel wells I would have to look in the book I hope this helps a little

• 8 months later...

The best drawing I know is from 1978, published in \'Famous Aircraft of the World\' from Koku-Fan. I have scanned this drawing and send it to you by email.

I have also made a comparison between this drawing and a small airplane station diagram from a Lockheed handbook, it is a pdf file, scale 1/100. Hope it helps...

Sorry for jacking this thread...

I know this thread is a little stale but some of the information here is really helping me with my "Herk" project...

I bought a set of plans to build a 65" WS RC model that I plan to build first then up the size to 1/10th scale. Only problem with it is the nose is from the first C-130's built i.e. it has a "flat" nose.

I would be interested in these drawings you have. Would you mind sending me a copy of these? Do these show the size of the "standard" (non flat) nose?

Edited by Shadow-D

• 2 weeks later...

Casey, I have a set of -3, -23 and -36 if they are of any help for specific drawings or profiles.

Wombat

I appreciate the offer but I think I have most of what I need. Shadow-D may want them.

The nose is about 85" long.

I think you looked at the wrong Fuselage station: 62.6" long according to the image.