New Tanker

HerkPFE

I have the same problem that Roy has, and maximizing the screen doesn\'t help. Casey is aware, but hasn\'t yet figured out what\'s causing the problem.

I have the same problem, using Internet Explorer. The problem is more than likely caused by some setting, deep in the bowels of the Control Panel, but I haven\'t figured it out.....

John

Sorry guys. I still have not found an answer to the problem. It is not browser or screen resolution specific. My computer at work does the same thing but I can\'t access enough settings on it to troubleshoot. :S

Airbus use imperial. You can use your toolbox to fix any western aircraft, military or civilian, Airbus or Boeing. We all use Snap-On or Bluepoint. You do not have to re-tool. I am ex- military fixing aircraft all over the world. Metric tools are for eastern bloc aircraft.

Whitworth...the size of the wrench was the size of the shank of the bolt. So a 5/16\" bolt here has a 1/2\" head & uses a 1/2\" wrench - WW would be a 5/16\" wrench!

Got a set for my old Norton project - took me a while to figure it out & no guarantees I\'m right either!!! Just what it appears to be.

When I worked on the old Vickers Viscounts in the early eighties, I had to revamp my toolbox with Whitworth/BSF and BA, and it took a long time to be able to glance a nut or bolt and reach for the correct size spanner.

Where the Herc commonly uses a 1/4\" nut on a 3/16\" shank, old British aircraft used 2BA, which, if I remember, is about 3/8\" AF (SAE), and that\'s a lot of extra weight when you add them all up.

Because the old British sizes have all disappeared, I think that we should take it as read that \"Imperial\" means \"non metric\".

Just a thought........ I now live in Australia, and after thirteen years of kilmeters, I\'m still in tune with miles.

I use imperial and standard (SAE) interchangeably to mean non-metric myself!

While on exchange, the RAF had recently (the year prior) changed their fuel & weight to Kg/Tonnes. What a nightmare for me - the FE would tell me, \"We weight 54 Tonnes, lad\" - what does that mean?!?! I got real good at going from Tonnes to pounds (easy - x2+10%), but not the other way \'round! ;)

Imperial essentially means using say a 1/4\" size spanner or a 5/8\" socket instead of a size 10 socket or size 6 spanner as you would on a metric aircraft. (Not comparably sizes by the way, just an example)

USA is essentially a imperial standard in measurement although metric has been advcated since the late 1800\'s, whilst the UK uses both and most of Europe use metric. Australia is metric but we use imperial (A/F) and metric tools due to US and European built machinery like aircraft, cars and other imported stuff.

I had always assumed despite what trev130 eng has said that European aircraft were metric in every aspect including bolts. I know that the A380 flight stations are measured in milimeters as opposed to inches like in the C-130.

We had a 727-82 at Transafrik, S9-NAZ, that had fuel guages that read in kilos instead of pounds. Many times in flight on that airplane, I\'d have a momentary major heart attack when I glanced at the guages & thought we were almost out of gas!! It was an ex-TAP Air Portugal airplane. Like most of Transafrik\'s fleet, this one crashed on the runway at Luanda in 2000.

Don R.