My bird hit a few birds :(

damnpoor

Casey wrote:

Dan were you on 993 when it took 18 birds in Turkey?

Nope, that one was Hutch and Randy Lawson was the pilot. Don\'t remember the rest of the crew but it was a mess, a buttload of Cranes deciding they want to mate with the humpy (well it wasn\'t a humpy no more after that flight huh?)

Dan

Buddy of mine at work tells a story that cracks me up. Keep in mind that he will tend to \"tell a story\" from time to time. Anyway...he was working TA and they had an IFE from an A-10 that was doing low levels. Bird strike. When the thing got in and everyone gathered to survey the bird damage...it ended up being a RABBIT sticking out the the LE. RABBIT strike. Now THAT is some low level training.

Was working graveshift while TDY to Mildenhall and at about sunrise, a KC-135R was taxiing out when a rabbit decided it wanted to get to the other side of the taxiway. It made it past 1&2 and under the aircraft but when it got in front of #3, it just disappeared. Called MOC and after engine blade wipedown, the 135 still made an ontime. I\'ve heard of using chickens to test engine blades but never rabbits.

Mike

My unit had a plane go through a flock of birds after a max effort T/O from a short LZ. About 50 feet, and #2 flamed out, and #1 rolled back. The crew did a phenomenal job keeping the plane flying and were able to get the plane on the ground safely.

My best was doing a stop and go, just prior to the go call we heard a bang, saw a flash, and #3 started rolling back. We rejected, and as we completed the reject #3 came back up on speed. We taxied clear to check out the engine and had base ops check out the runway for any FOD. All they found was a fish. They asked us if we wanted to record a fish strike.

After shut down and the mx inspection, they found a sea bird that had a fish in its grip when it hit us.

We had another one a few days ago - the crew was doing pilot pro and thought they took a bird on approach. The eng and load got out and looked over the plane at the end of the runway and saw nothing, so they kept flying. After they landed during the thruflight we found a bird that had hit the strut itself and got stuck in a wire bundle in the wheel well.

It\'s that time of year I guess.

Several bases in South Africa are well out of town, and have large populations of gazzelle and warthog. These end up in engines and undercarriages from time to time. In an attempt to keep these animals away from the runways and taxiways, cheetah are released into the base areas. At least one cheetah has been killed on the runway, and several takeoffs/landings aborted. The overall number of animal incedents has been significantly reduced though

• 2 weeks later...

I\'ve had several bird strikes through my years flying , a few really bad ones were 1 through teh co pilots window, took out the co, fe and nav, after getting the mess under control i got in co seat and helped pilot land, another was a big albatross in the leading edge between # 3 & # 4 engines on an H model on the way to greenland, and another on that bubble contraption at red flag, thankfully no 1 had there head up there when we took the bird strike.

Birds can be quite the dangerous thing when were flying../....

• 3 weeks later...