37 TAS Langley AFB 1966-1975

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, I'm trying to remember you. I was in the 36th from around Sep 74 to around Aug 75, even ended up in 37th, or 38th for a short period of time. I was there when they started moving the 36th TAS to McCord. Anyone ever hear from Bob Grindrod, Wilber Nelson? HB Marsh was my boss in the 36th. I had a friend, Charlie Scheffler, a Crew Chief on Herks. I went to KDOV on C-5's after Langley.

I was in the 37th from 1 Nov 69 to 22 Aug 73

Bob Daley

Edited by bobdaley

Oh, boy................That weekend is typically one of the biggest sales events for my wife and my 18th century reproduction business. It is at some place called Mount Vernon.......so we may be able to be there through Thursday, but will have to come home, load our stuff up and get down to Mount Vernon to set up on Friday. Talk about a bag drag, but I sure don't want to miss out on Hampton..........

Giz

Bob, I'm trying to remember you. I was in the 36th from around Sep 74 to around Aug 75, even ended up in 37th, or 38th for a short period of time. I was there when they started moving the 36th TAS to McCord. Anyone ever hear from Bob Grindrod, Wilber Nelson? HB Marsh was my boss in the 36th. I had a friend, Charlie Scheffler, a Crew Chief on Herks. I went to KDOV on C-5's after Langley.

I knew a Ssgt s Scheffer, his wife was also a Crew chief i think the A/c was 7880 . i was one of the last to leave Nov 1976 went to hawaii.

Anyone ever hear from Bob Grindrod, Wilber Nelson?

Jim,

Bob Grinrod ("Rug") was a CMSgt at Rhein Main when I was there (1977 -- 1983). He showed up in the early 1980's. He was the chief FE in the 37th and then went to Wing as the chief FE in Stan/Eval, or maybe it was the other way around. I also worked with him working part time for Flying Tigers servicing a MAC Charter 747 that transited the base once a week. He drove a really neat Honda Gold Wing. Lost track of him when I left.

I remember a Wilbur Nelson as an FE on HC-130P's at Kortat RTAFB in Thailand.

Don R.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

316th Langley Reunion 2012

Greetings Fellow Airlifters and friends:

I want to let everyone know that Rex Riley is putting together our next reunion.

It will be held at Hampton, VA and numerous events are planned. Those of you who attended last year's reunion in Dayton, know how much fun it was. So make plans to attend and let any and all fellow 316th personnel, both ground and aircrew, know about what's going on.

The hotel listed below has given us a very good price for rooms. I recommend you contact them sooner than later.

This is the notice going out to veterans magazines, etc.

316 Tactical Airlift Wing Reunion, (All Personnel, Langley Air Force Base, VA. 1965 -75) September 18 - 23, Crowne Plaza Hampton-Marina, Hampton, VA. Contact: Rex Riley at: 757-294-3253 or e-mail: [email protected]

Hope to see you all there. Please feel free to contact Rex or myself to let us know if you are interested in attending. Rex will have updated events information available soon.

Tim Egan

• 1 month later...

316th TAW REUNION 2012

September 18th thru the 23rd, 2012

Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina

Hampton, Virginia

Registration Form

Name_______________________________________ Phone__________________________________

Spouse/Guess________________________________

Address____________________________ City__________________________ State ______Zip___________

Reunion fees: $125.00 per person

Fees include: Tour Langley AFB and Lunch at the Officer Club

Hospitality Suite, Refreshments, Entertainment

Luncheon, Virginia Air and Space Center Tour

Bar-B- Que, Mill Point Park

Activities: Tuesday 18th- Welcome cocktail get together. 6:30 PM till 8:00 PM, Hotel lounge

Cash Bar with Free Hors d’oeuvres, hospitality suite open until.

Wednesday 19th -Free day, roam around, relax and rest up from traveling. Hospitality suite

open when you want it. Entertainment in the suite this evening.

Thursday 20th - Tour Langley Air Force Base, lunch provided at the Officers Club.

We will leave the hotel at 9:00 AM, dress comfortable.

Hospitality suite, open on our return.

Friday 21st - Early afternoon buffet luncheon next door at The Virginia Air and Space Center.

Again dress casual and comfortable. That night the downtown Hampton Block

Party. Hospitality suite,open when you want.

Saturday 22nd - Bar-B-Que/Picnic at Mill Point Park, across the street from the hotel

Pork and beef Bar-B-Que and fixings ,Entertainment, Hospitality suite,

open when you want it.

Sunday 23rd - Check out. Bye Bye

Please respond no later than August 20th, 2012 to:

J.W. Riley, Jr. 375 Poplar Lawn Road, Surry, Virginia 23883 - Phone 757-294-3253

Make checks payable to the “316 TAW REUNION”

Hotel reservations: Crowne Plaza Hotel, Hampton, Va. 1-866-727-9700

All rooms $89.00 per night

If anyone has any special diet needs please let me know so that I can let all the catering concerns know.

Lunch at Langley will be a cold cut croissant sandwich served with a potato or pasta salad and tea,coffee,water etc. Beer and wine extra.

The luncheon buffet will be Herb Rubbed Baked Chicken and Grilled Mahi Mahi with a creole sauce, Caesar salad, red bliss potato salad,

vegetable medley, hot rolls, cakes and pies. Assorted drinks.

Bar-B-Que will be chopped hardwood smoked pork and beef, with cold slaw, baked beans, etc. Soda,beer,wine

So diet this summer

Above is a registration form for the"2012 Reunion" of the 316th TAW from LAFB 1966 - 1976. Please feel free to pass this on to anyone that was stationed at Langley during this period and encourage them to attend. There has been a couple of changes due to a tornado in the area but will be worked around. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask Rex or myself and we will get the answers for you. Looking forward to seeing you all in Hampton. Your humble servant Jerry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

316th Reunion at Hampton Langley AFB VA was great.

I am waiting on our official photographer Rudi Goldman to get off his butt in the Keys and send me some pics.

Planning for next years reunion which will be held at WP AFB, The AF Museum is already under way.

Try to be there. Most of us were trash haulers in the 316th TAW from 1966 to 1973.

Here are a couple of pics from last year.

Bob

Click on the thumbnails for the full pics

First pic Larry Myers Maintenace, Tim Egan LM, Bob Daley Pilot, Paul Parrish-Gizzard- LM, Bill Heaphy Nav

I'll try pic 2 tomorrow

Edited by bobdaley

• 2 weeks later...