Looking for friends from E-Flight 1971-1974 CCK

EFLTatCCK

Gary,

I worked with Charlie Brewer on Acft 515 as a crew chief and after Acft 7868 crewing with Fred Peffer. I spent all my time as a assistantC/C and then as crew chief while in E-flt and I deployed from CCK with e-flt from late 72 to Early 74 then till late 74 at Clark also. The guys called me \"shorty\" from a nickname my chinese friends in Taichung(Dirty Dozen) gave me. Do you remember Randy Odette,Tom Warhya,POPS Curfman,Jim Burnette,Charles Manny,and some of the other E-flt Crew Chiefs?

Vince Acquaviva

I sure do Vince. I was good friends with all of those guys especially Fred Peffer. I returned to Clark in 1975 and Fred and I both moved to Yokota when they moved the 345th from Kadena to Yokota. Later when I went back to Kadena in 1984 Fred was there on KC-135\'s and I saw Tom Wayhya in the club one day. He was TDY from Clark.

Gary Robinson

Dear rje71,

The E-Flt patch with the COBRA is the\"REAL\" E-FLT patch. We used to wear it on our fatigues on our left shoulder above the stripes all the while we were back from our TDY\'s at home at CCK. The E-Flt Cobra Patch was \"OUTLAWED\" when we moved to Clark in Late 74,because things were getting more like stateside 35-10 Uniform GARBAGE.

I used to be able to get the patches made for about 15 Cents US each at a tailor in Taichung,Taiwan ( Wu Chuan Lu)area.

The patch with the eagle is probably for another unit,and it says \"e pluribus Manama\" there is a Manama in Bahrain so this patch is NOT a E-FLT patch and also we did not wear these on party suits or flt suits.

Vince Acquaviva

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like a copy of the patch that I posted to the old Herky board. When I scanned it years ago the white part turned yellow. That was the E Flight patch from the 21st TCS when it was at Naha. I also sent in the E flght patch that was worn on fatigues and the flight suit/jacket. Here\'s what it looked like.For a while we had a \"Sorry Bout That\" arch that was sewn above the Habu patch. Ralph [img size=420]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/Krach_E_Flight_Radar_patch.JPG

I remember the guys that were with E-Flt at Naha when they came to CCK and then we started to have the HABU or Cobra patch. Both patches of the COBRA were used at CCK.

Ralph,Thanks for the picture of all three patches in the Herk Web page. I thought that we E-Flighter\'s have been forgotten until you and a few former E-Flt members of Herk.com in our forum. You can also see pictures of our C-130\'s in \"Aircraft of Air America\'on the Air America.Org web site.

Thanks for the great memories again!

Vince Acquaviva

Vince, There are a few E Flt Cat Z\'s and Flt crew that always attend the Blindbat reunions. The Cat Z\'s were the original flarekickers during 64,65 and until the move to Ubon in 66. We have our own board at Topica but it\'s been fairly quiet for a while. When we have a reunion it really crackles. The Category Z functional account code was done away with in July 1966.

Ralph

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

823 Taiwan Veterans Association and Taipei Air Station Veterans both have web sites and both are looking for American Veterans that have been in Taiwan from 1958 to 1979 to be members ESPECIALLY they are looking for former C-130 members of 314TAW and 374 TAW that were at CCK Air Base in Taichung 1965 to 1978.

The web sites are:

http://www.taiwanvets.com

Sincerely

Vince

Edited by EFLTatCCK

• 3 months later...

I was at Tahkli when I woke Tom Warya up from a somewhat inebriated stupor and told him the battery was dead on the MD3. He got out of the truck, grabbed the hand crank and spun it up. We had been trying for half an hour and couldn't even turn it one revolution. I flew on Happy Hap's crew with Carlus Traylor (FE) and Jim Hinderhof (Pilot). I also flew with Don Birdsong, Jackie Wilson FE's. I stayed in touch with Birdsong until he passed away last year. He flew for the Saudis for years after he retired and would stop by Dover when they came to the states for their shopping trips. Wesley (Spoon) Witherspoon and I flew with E-Flight from the initial crews at CCK until I left Clark in November 75. Larry Brown was the commander at that time. Spoon was involved in Desert 1 rescue try. I last saw him at Hurlburt in early 1980s. Carlus Traylor just contacted me before Christmas and is still living near Little Rock. I was in the flight line snack bar in the mid 80s here in Dover and ran into Jim Hinderhof who was flying C130s out of Willow Grove and 747s with United Airlines. By the way, you can google earth and see the runway and ramps at CCK still. It is not real clear but you can definitely make out the runways, taxiways and the road out to the Vinnel area.

One of my favorite memories of the gray birds was when we got either the second or third one painted gray. When we went on the mission and began the reconfiguration, it turned out the camo paint was still there under the star and bar.

I believe I have some pictures of some of the gray birds. I will try to dig them out when I can find them and I have a converter for slides to digital.

Jon Andrews

Dover, DE

Retired Air Force

Loadmaster C141A, C130E, C5A/B