Inquest on First Australian to Die in Iraq

C130Hcc

\"I was flying over there when this happen. I can tell you that we changed the routes that we flew between Baghdad and Balad after this incident. God rest their souls.\"

I was in the AOR before and after this unfortunate occurance. If I remember correctly we had a altitude restriction on this route and the

RAF and Aussies had a less restrictive low level route.

God Speed!

• 2 weeks later...

I\'ll think you\'ll find the Aussies (whilst flying Low Level) didn\'t fly LL along that route due to the risk.

I won\'t say much more (BEADWINDOW?) but an Aussie tells me things have changed a little because of the USAF ATC guys having a cry a number of years ago. Apparently they wanted to \"normalize\" (i.e. couldn\'t handle low level aircraft faster than a helicopter (despite the aircraft accepting own seperation, having TCAS, Radar and visual identification of other traffic due to complete incompetence) Air Traffic. (I don\'t trust them in Maryland let alone on OIF)

Sounds pretty strange to me - they want to \"normalize\" air traffic and deny Herc\'s flying tactical low level approaches yet they feel the need to drive to work in armored vehicles. I don\'t think they understand that a person who can shoot at a vehicle can shoot at an aircraft.

I think Baghdad would have run better if it didn\'t have these guys running the tower. They ain\'t all that and a bag of chips :P

No buddy, they were just incompetent.

The volume of traffic was not that big. I\'ve had worse flying into an uncontrolled Air Field. The tower controllers just couldn\'t understand why it wasn\'t like Travis.

As a result, aircrew had to change their tactics and redo the risk assessment because of these luddites.

They just couldn\'t understand that when an aircraft in VMC with traffic on radar, TCAS and visually identified comes inbound it isn\'t a problem. Even when they had it explained they still LIED on their hazard report. That LTCOL should be drawn and quartered.