Patches

Muff Millen

Here is an article that was posted in the AFA news.....

Brings back a lot of memories....good to see that the old bird is still flying...

Muff

Khe Sanh Veteran Back in Combat: The 746th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, which has been supporting operations in Southwest Asia since February, recently added one more C-130 to its ranks: a 45-year-old C-130E known as Patches that arrived from Pope AFB, N.C. The aircraft, tail no. 62-1817, has a famous past that goes back to the 77-day battle of Khe Sanh in early 1968 during the Vietnam War. With overland supply of the embattled Marines impossible, Patches and her crew braved enemy fire to land and deliver much-needed supplies to the besieged outpost Feb. 5, 1968. The aircraft sustained substantial damage upon landing and taking off, but finished the mission. Pilot Lt. Col. Howard Dallman received the Air Force Cross for his efforts in leading the flight; all crew members received the Silver Star. \"I\'m proud to have her on our ramp,\" said Lt. Col. Daniel Tulley, 746th EAS commander, from Little Rock AFB, Ark. \"It gives our crewmembers and maintainers a sense of pride to know that one of their aircraft has been through something that significant.\" (USAF report by SrA. Tong Duong)

I thought this airplane was lost in an accident in Idaho. A few years ago someone from the USAFM contacted me because they were trying to find a "heroic Herk" for the museum. Nearly all of them had been lost. Col. Dallman died a few years ago. The USAFM is supposed to be getting the one that Bill Caldwell flew over An Loc and got shot up. He and Charlie Shaub got the Air Force Cross. Jon Sanders, the engineer, was KIA.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, you are right. Also 62-1788 is at LR. It had a 4 engine roll back just after take off about a year ago. Due to the skill and superior knowledge of the crew they were able to follow procedures and landed the plane back at LR safely...Big salute to that crew. 62-1788 is also one of the heavly wounded planes from the SEA games. It received over four hundred dings and holes from being motored the last day of the war. The crew was awarded the Silver Star. I would like to see that one put on display somewhere.

Muff

• 1 year later...

I was part of the maintenance recovery team that went up to Bu Dop to get a C130A pieced back together to fly back to TSN. That was November of '69. She took some mortar hits after landing that wiped out the left main tires and number 2 engine. Also tore up the hydraulics for the ramp and elevator controls. There were shrapnel hits all over the left side of the aft fuselage and tail. The Army wanted to blow it up since it had been "quiet" at their camp for a while, but the A/C wouldn't hear of it. The rest of the crew left and he remained behind to make sure the Army left it alone. After our team arrived we stripped out all the extra weight from the cargo compartment to lighten her up, replaced the tires and wheels, removed the torn up outer gear door, scavenged some tubing to get the elevators working again, closed the ramp with a forklift. Then we got in, filled the other crew seats since there was only the original A/C remaining, and took off on 3 engines. I've got some pictures from Bu Dop and some slides I took after return to TSN. I labelled the slides as tail number 5026, but after reviewing the production list it must have been 55-0026. My photos show an angle view of the vertical stab with "YP". I hope this helps fill in a few gaps.

• 3 years later...

Charlie Brault was the FE on my first shuttle alone after getting checked out in Country. I roomed with him in the Merlin Hotel in Saigon. 

He was one amazing individual. He got us out of so many jams. He told me the story of being hit in Khe San and being under rocket attack. 

He said he figured they were gonna die one way or the other so he jumped out of the bunker and started working on the airplane and got it fixed enough to get it out of there...