3WG Alaska C-130s

wysongj

I was just curious what happened to all the C-130s that were assigned to Elmendorf AFB when they got C-17s? I would think they would stay with PACAF and go to Yokota, but I\'m not sure. Anyone know? I ended up doing a good bit of work on those bird in Afghanistan in 2005, but didn\'t enjoy it at all. They were pig compared to the ANG Herks.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Charles,

I was stationed at Dyess when we started receiving the then-new H1\'s back in 1974. I was on a crew that ferried an E-model to Elmendorf & on the way up there, we started having pressurization problems. Anyway, to make a long story short, when we landed & parked, the loadmaster opened the ramp & door & frozen toilet paper & towels fell out. They wouldn\'t accept the airplane until the ramp seals were replaced.

Kind of ironic -- some of those H-models are back at Dyess again.

Don R.

I Left Elemendorf in Aug 1977 and was assigned to Tinker AFB OK for about two weeks to process out and retire. When i left Alaska we were flying the E model. Don ihad a good friend at Dayess. His name was Dwight Wilkerson. We was at Sewart AFB Tenn. and nearly three years at Clark PI. You probley knew him .

Charles Fisher

• 1 month later...

If it is the same aircraft I think you are refering to we (CLSS) used it to repair an Elmendorf bird when it hit a snow bank and collapsed the NLG. We also used the lower forward fuselage section structure (FS 245 to about FS 400) to repair a Yokota bird that had a nose wheel tire depart the aircraft and mess up the belly.

It was 0534 Sonny. I helped take the DVS tub off of it so they could use it to add SCNS to the ex-navy LC Ski birds.

It was a bitch getting it out. They were generous with the use of sealant. Once we got as much sealant cut as possible, we used my Toyota jack between the upper cap and the tub to POP it out!

Tiny

Yep, 1660, I still have pictures of it. Mike Bischoff did alot of research in the drawings to help get the parts needed to fix it, and I helped where I could, but I\'m just a pointy head. [img size=1024]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/moving_day10.jpg

Yeah, That was a fun job...100 days TDY there to put it back together. All off-base too. We made good mney but most of us spent it on taking in all of Alaska we could. I wonder what Dan is up to these days?

Tiny, I think you were working out some ADI issue when we were putting 1660 back together.

Sonny

No problem, I had more but can\'t find them. We shot one higher into the hell hole, and you could see the tires where the floor was.

The HF radios had the control cables jambed into the flight deck floor. You can\'t see them very well in the picture, but they probably couldn\'t have moved them very much, if they even had time to try.

After they put the nose on the trailer, they used ice chocks on one main to make any significant turns on the way to the hangar.

Here\'s one more from inside the NLG area. [img size=1024]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/PIC00009.JPG