No Hope-Pope

bobdaley

Was at Langley in 69-70. Not many TDY's to Pope but was there several times. It was only an hour flight so we would go there for the day. Start early in the morning,land about 9, finish rigging for max troops. Large formations takeoff with drops between 1-2 PM. Land to drop off safety and parachute bags. Then race VFR back to Langley. The first crew back got the first debrief from maintenance with the others having to wait. No TDY pay, just a long day of "local" flying.

Was at Langley in 69-70. Not many TDY's to Pope but was there several times. It was only an hour flight so we would go there for the day. Start early in the morning,land about 9, finish rigging for max troops. Large formations takeoff with drops between 1-2 PM. Land to drop off safety and parachute bags. Then race VFR back to Langley. The first crew back got the first debrief from maintenance with the others having to wait. No TDY pay, just a long day of "local" flying.

I was at Langley from 70 to 74, and must have made a couple dozen trips down there, droppin' troops and trash,that sort of thing. once we took about six or so birds down for some gaggle, seems like one of the wing commanders was the lead, got there, found out they knew nothin' about us comin, ate at the flight line snack bar, jumped into our big green and tan noise makers and went home. Used to try to get the deriggin' all done before we got into the pattern at langley. Mostly made it, too. remember 'Heart of Fayetteville" motel, Bonnie Prince Charles, all that. Fun times, for sure....................glad we have memories to keep this stuff alive..

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Man, does this thread bring back memories. I was assigned to Pope from Tech at Amarillo really late in '63 along with such guys as Sam McGowan and Jody Wilcoxson. Tell ya the truth guys,most of us didn't get a chance to settle in. One TDY after another 'till the Wing was re-assigned to SEA, and we all left permenantly. All accept Don Turnpaugh. I think he spent his entire enlistment at Pope. I love the comment about the wing cracks. Brings back a ton of really bad memories. We checked for cracks while at CCK. Miserable job!! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.....Chris