No Hope-Pope

bobdaley

Bob,

They were replaced by C-130H\'s of the 440Air Wing originally from Billy Mitchell Field at Milwalke Wis of the Air Force Reserve. My old unit the 913th Air Wing at Willow Grove had E models that POPE,DYESS,and Little Rock got from us because of wing cracks\"ALL THIRTEEN\"of the E-models and 63-7823 was one of them that POPE got from Willow Grove.

The New 440th Wing at POPE has a composite of people from the Wis 440th and the 913th from Willow Grove,PA. I am glad that some of the 62 Models are still flying from when I Crew\'ed some of them in South and East Asia about almost 40 years ago.

Thanks

Vince Acquaviva

Slightly off the topic, but every time I read Bob Daley\'s subject title, \"No-Hope Pope,\" 2 things pop into my head -- Hay Street & the Prince Charlie, back when the town was called Fayettenam. Also the converted soda machine in the billetting office that sold cans of beer!!

Don R.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 6 years at Pope (41st, 39th, 2nd, 317th and 43rd) from 87 till 93. The thing about Pope was that if you wanted to see what the Herc could do, go to Pope. You saw the largest AD loads (M551s, 130G, M35, etc)and routinely worked in the dirt LZs of R5311. I always equated Pope to the Tac Airlift version of Nellis. The old flight line snack bar was memorable, along with the NCO club. Don was right about the beer vending machines and Hay Street. Of course, once the idiot McPeek took over, everything changed forever.

Hush

I saw the article. 63-7868 was the last E to leave, going to LRF.

62-1823 and 63-7823 were also at LRF, 63-7884 was reported at Ramstein and no sign of 62-1811 and 17.

Bob [file name=C_130_Re_Farewell_C_130E.txt size=5922]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/files/C_130_Re_Farewell_C_130E.txt[/file]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at Pope ffom 93 jan to 94 aug, with the 2 AS.That was when it was the 23rd Wing with the A-10s and F-16s, and all the acft had the sharks mouth.It was cool, because ive always wondered what a hog would look like w/ sharks teeth. And just as i suspected, a big rabid pig!! Got some pretty cool reactions to it while on the road.On a TDY to benning to drop some jumpers, we almost hit 5 OH-58s egressing the LZ.The pilots came in to the BK on post at Benning and confronted us about the near miss.(jokingly of course)I told them they should see the helo kill markings we have painted on the side of the acft & the AC goes,\'now you see why we have the teeth\'! Also, my bird,68-0942 was involved in that collision with the F-16.Had to FODwalk the entire length of the runway 3 times to pick up all the pieces.

Miss the FOD walks, a good way to wake up in the morning. I arrived at Pope back in 1991 and was one of the last sanding to close the doors on the 40th ALS. If there was anyone in the 40th back at Pope you will remember the Chief, Rotations and parties. I then was transferred to the 2nd and been there since I retired in 2002. WTF, I had a good time….

Com/Nav rocks…

Jano…

• 3 months later...

Sorry this is a it off subject with everyone's nostalgia, but I'm trying to do a bit of research into 63-7884. Such old pics, nicknames, history...that kind of stuff. Right now I'm assigned to the bird and I'm trying to bring some life back into the plane. I was told this was a good place to find out a bunch of that info. Any help wil be much appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

This acft was at Yokota at least while I was there...90-94. I know why there it was the WG/CC's acft. I remember painting the base newspaper logo "Fuji Flyer" on the side of the acft. Also at the same time, we (USAF) were converting the tail markings from the traditional 5 digit tail #'s to a two-letter wing designator, in this case, YJ was placed on the tail. This acft also did a christmas run to Palua dropping gifts etc.

I know I sent Casey some pix of nose art in the past...one of them was the side of the acft with the "Fuji Flyer" on the side.

Scott

• 2 years later...

This airplane came to FlightSafety International as a fully functional EC-130E which we converted to become a MC-130W Dragon Spear Fuselage Trainer. Now operational as a ground based trainer at 27 SOW, Cannon AFB, NM, many more years of use as Loadmaster, FE, Special Tactics, FARP, Medical Evac and Aircraft Mechanic trainer will ensure its legacy goes well into 5 generations of use.