C-130 H Gear Collapse in 2004

SonnyJ

Hey all,

I am looking for info on the cause of the gear to collapse on rollout of a Minnesota ANG C-130H on 29 April 2004. Please send any information you have at [email protected]

We are doing a reliability study on the MLG ballscrew and we are having a hard time getting specific information on this incident.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Sonny Johnston

Thanks! Looks like another great source of information. It appears that the details of the investigation were never publically released. I guess I will have to wait until the person I need to talk to returns from TDY. Thanks for all the help!

Sonny

PS Great site Casey!

Little bird who was present at the ops desk that day in Minn told me the pilots were talked into coming back right away. This was to avoid impacting the Northwest schedules. Whether or not this effected the outcome, who knows. Seems the advisors were all NW pilots on the side....or C-130 pilots on the side. Either way, that\'s 3rd hand, so take it as much.

AMPTestFE wrote:

Little bird who was present at the ops desk that day in Minn told me the pilots were talked into coming back right away.

Sorry to tell you, your \"little bird\" has it dead wrong. I heard it different from a \"big bird\", and I can tell you that is absolutely untrue (in your defense, you did state the info was \"third hand\").

IIRC, the incident occurred at ~1930L, which was the height of the evening \"push\" at MSP. If there was any external pressure to adjust the landing time, it appears the crew completely disregarded it. I also believe the FAA had to divert/delay commercial flights until they could ensure the crossing runways were safe.

I always get a kick out of watching the video of that landing. Of the 4 crewmembers egressing, 1 goes through the top escape hatch, while the other 3 walk out of the crew entrance door. Also, of those 4 people, none of them think to turn off the battery! All the lights are still on as the fire department is dousing down the airplane.

I haven\'t been on a military Herc since 1985, so maybe that\'s not a requirement anymore.

Don R.

Don,

I noticed that too! I heard a rumor from a guy that knows a guy whose sister went to elementary school with a guy who was at the ops desk that leaving the battery on pretty much ended the FE\'s career.

My source assured me that even though the investigation gave the FE a \"pat on the back\", that person is most definitely no longer an FE.;)

Thanks for everyone\'s input. However, the above info are rumors and for the most part are not true (didn\'t see anything about the battery switch in the report either). I finally did see the mishap report (obtained through official channels)and there was no mention of those things in the above posts. Most of the information is still unreleasable in the report.

Thanks, Casey! This website helped me get an important question answered.

Sonny

\"We are doing a reliability study on the MLG ballscrew and we are having a hard time getting specific information on this incident.\"

Tens of Thousands of landings are plenty of reasons to look at failures not \"reliability\" when it comes to MLG ballscrews.....

• 2 months later...