Directional Control

Dominion

I have an aircraft that starts to pull to the left as it goes past 60 knots. When airborne the problem gets worse. First thoughts are Rudder. The technicians claim that the entire assembly has been re-rigged but it seems as if the problem has gotten worse.

The props have been checked closely, the synchrophaser and autopilot LRU\'s were completely removed/depowered, the nose gear has been checked.

I am still convinced the Rudder system is defective..thoughts?

Your statment sure makes it believable that it is not a powerplant problem. If the speed affects it, then it has to do with the airframe and flight surfaces.

If the rudder is, in fact, installed and rigged correctly static, then the airframe has a problem. I would wonder if there is a problem with the rudder mounting hardware/holes that allow it to move with an airload that does not show up in a static condition. If not in the belcrank at the bottom, perhaps the mounts running up the vertical need to be looked at. Personally, I\'d remove the rudder and look carefully at everything. I\'d also expect that an airframe asymmetry check is in order.

HTF, I am sure that if enough of a change in symmetrical torque was applied then it would fly relatively straight.

I believe the crew was too freaked by the problem to even consider adjusting the throttles and they are hesitant to take the aircraft airborne until something significant is corrected.

I would fly it myself but current corporate policy dictates otherwise.

What are your thoughts regarding the engine power settings?

If all the controls appear to be rigged correctly then you may look at the MLG doors and make sure they are closing all the way. I worked on a bird when I was in the CLSS that had a 4\" gap between the MLG inboard and outboard door the unit was trying to fix. The aircraft had recently suffered a RMLG tire blowout and it took out the refuel panel. When the unit rebuilt the pod the bottom of the pod stuck out 4\" more than it did before. It wasn\'t realized until they went to put the door back on that there was a problem. There was no gap in the front but by the time you got to the back the gap was 4\". From what I recall it did affect how the aircraft flew.

I worked with the FE to check every aspect of the rudder and rudder trim with electrics and hydro applied during his preflight and the trim was dead on with the rudder in full left, center and full right. As the rudder was placed in each position the trim was moved through its full travel.

Guest HercMx

We had a bird in VN that flew as you have discribed...We worked it over in the Det at TSN but ended up sending it to the PI..We heard they changed a wing..........

Jack

• 3 weeks later...