C-130 makes emergency landing in Baghdad field

meh130

• 2 months later...

Props wouldn\'t have feathered all the way. As soon as it touched down they probably caged the engines, killing all the generators below 365Hz, in turn killing Ess AC bus, in turn the aux feather motor. If the APU was on, I don\'t think it would have survived. Just speculation though.

The final report is out as of 03 Oct 08. Without getting into too much of it, the primary cause was the MP snatched the throttles back too fast and flamed out three of the four motors while reacting to MWS warning. According to the report #2 engine continued to run all the way to landing. There was never any attempt to relight or feather any of the non-functioning engines. APU was not running. From flameout to touchdown was 57 seconds. I thought the pilot did a great job of landing the plane once he decided that was the only option.

It\'s a good, thorough report. You should check it out if you have access to it.

• 7 months later...

I was there when it went down. And they managed to salvage all the fluids and most other parts. The four engines where in decent condition, from my non pilot standpoint, they may not have worked but we did what we could to prep them for shipment. It went down outside the base lines, so CE and EoD didnt have much time to fully take it apart.

The inside was smashed in..Which i noticed from a power point.

no one was hurt, however, one of the members of the stryker team was KIA a few days after they responded to the site to retrieve the personnel inside, Sather Air Base, as well as Camp Liberty and Camp Victory suffered a great loss.