C-130E Question

DC10FE

I was asked this question by a friend of mine & I didn\'t have an answer (nothing unusual there!). Did the C-130E have any kind of 60HZ electrical outlet in the cockpit for a shaver or CD player? I remember a couple of 28 volt outlets for the Aldis lamps on the side panels. I also think there was a 60HZ outlet back by the iron lung area.

Thanks,

Don R.

The Marine version \"F\" Model had a 60 Hz inverter installed for the Omega Nav system (Land based radio Nav system)(fan power if I remember right???...) We(NOT ME) used it for a coffee pot and also so \"other\" items not on the aircraft inventory...

There are a couple 115V/400Hz connectors on most (if not all) Herks. The connector is an odd 5-pin cannon plug with the two center plugs being 115V. Don\'t know that I\'d run a shaver off it (or anything with a motor designed for 60Hz), but many devices don\'t care too much about frequency...

Don\'t much understand electricity:S but I know of one time needing to have access to 120 V AC for an incubator and our crew chief and I dug up an extention cord cut the prong ends off, and taped them to the prongs on one of the hot cup plugs. Maybe didn\'t meet safety and all that crap, but we were tryin\' to save a premature baby and that\'s all we had. Unfortunately, it was not enough. The poor thing dies as we were entering the pattern at Ramstein, I think it was:( At least we tried.

Nope, E-models never had any wired 60Hz power. Anything with a motor or transformer that runs off 60Hz will operate on 400Hz, BUT, for a very, very short time.

Most of the test equipment runs off 50-400Hz now.

USAF OMEGA systems didn\'t use it either. I don\'t even remember a cooling fan for it, but I\'ve slept a couple times since I worked on that system.

The Coast Guard used to have a teletype for communications and we had an inverter that would give you 110 volts 60 cycles. We ran tape players then CD players off of it with the occational coffee pot or microwave. We also had a med pallet we could use in HI, PR or AK for transporting critical care patients. I think we had one in Sacramento (McClellan) too.