Pic \'o the Week

pjvr99

Spent total of 5 years in Saudi, 3 in Jeddah and 1 in Riyadh, and 1 in PSAB. I worked on a MED Ship that in 1991 according to the flight log(USAF 781J)the last flight is in 12/23/89 for 3 hours. for a total of I think a little over 250hrs. all of this on an airframe that was over 10 years old.My wife was ticked off when I told her what type of equipment was on those planes. She was a respiratory tech at King Fahd Hospital, and most of their equipment was broke. Go figure.

This is all from memory---I wasn\'t directly involved, but followed what was going on...

Lockheed-Ontario modified two brand new Hercs as hospital ships for Saudi. One was supposed to be just for the King (back in the 70\'s or 80\'s), who had a heart problem. The airplane was equipped with a full cardiac operating room, and intensive care recovery room. An APU was built in to the aft part of one of the external tanks for power and air conditioning.

The second airplane also had an operating room, ICU for six, a triage in the back-end, and a roll-on/roll-off Mercedes ambulance. This airplane also had a weird extendable/retractable radio antenna on top of the fuselage that was to be used to communicate telemetry for the medical instruments on-board.

The L-100 was unbelieveable.(real) gold and inside with a king size bed

mounted on a gyro, The MS birds and the VIP L100 just sat on the ramp.

In 1988 myself and two other crew members would preflight each day and

services LOX\'s. That\'s all we did.

I remember once was doing a preflight on MS 10 was walking away and came around the right gear pod and hear a faint hissing sound. another mechanic and myself investagated and found the main tires to be leaking through the weather cracks. we decided then to check all the planes found 4 more VIP green tails the same way. took each one in the hanger full jack job and replaced them all at once went through 20 mains and 10 noses in 2 days. most work I did the whole time I was there.LOL

The Gyro was so that the King would always be facing Mecca in his sleep if he ever had to fly on the A/c. Each medical ship would be lucky if it flew 25 hrs a year. Equipment on board was unbelievable. I was working fuel cell at the time and was tasked with changing the external tank fuel pump. They forget to tell me the last third of the tank was an APU. Late 80\'s was fun time in Jeddah. Never forget Lockheed City compound.

TalonOneTF wrote:

This is all from memory---I wasn\'t directly involved, but followed what was going on...

Lockheed-Ontario modified two brand new Hercs as hospital ships for Saudi. One was supposed to be just for the King (back in the 70\'s or 80\'s), who had a heart problem. The airplane was equipped with a full cardiac operating room, and intensive care recovery room. An APU was built in to the aft part of one of the external tanks for power and air conditioning.

The second airplane also had an operating room, ICU for six, a triage in the back-end, and a roll-on/roll-off Mercedes ambulance. This airplane also had a weird extendable/retractable radio antenna on top of the fuselage that was to be used to communicate telemetry for the medical instruments on-board.

According to my father the king would fly (not himself but you get it)they would fly into the desert and give the Bedouin medical care.

I included an image of one of the medical beds. That went out with the lockheed newsletter/flyer thing that was sent to me. His handwriting is \"MS 10 Jeddah\" it may not be the right image. [img size=782]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/scan0011.jpg

jrkaegi wrote:

Saudi\'s own the aircraft.In 1988 the tires where weather crack, and the Saudi thinking don\'t fly why change.

What do you expect from people who run out of gas, leave their mercedes on the side of the road and go get a new car... :P