Bragg-Pope AFB C-130 in the dirt in Iraq

Metalbasher

Speaking of the accident, was it a Reserve crew (95AS)or an active duty crew (2AS). In an Active Duty Associate unit like Wyoming or Pope do the Active duty crewmembers fly with Reserve crews or do they try to keep integral crews of all Active duty and all Reserve?

Bob

Bob, I sure hope they try to keep the AD with the AD and the Reserves with Reserves.

With the 9th and 5th SOS we would interfly if we had to, but it is such an overall mess! There was the AF way and then there was the Reserves/5th SOS way and it seems like the twain never shall meet.

Not saying what they were doing was bad, just saying they tended to fly and operate the way that best worked for them but we were stuck with published, HQ and MAJCOM approved procedures. Interflys always seem to uh \"invite lively debate\" shall we say:side: (or maybe that was just my winning personality?)

Dan

Guest cobra935o

I heard the 5th shut down, not sure if thats true or not, but what I heard, guess the 9th will be happy if thats true, and it was as bad as you say Dan.

Nathan

Puredrenalin wrote:

Im 90% sure it was a guard crew....but I will find out next week for sure, got a friend at Pope that used to be in the WI unit!

I\'m a 100% you\'re wrong. Your choices are AFRC or AD at Pope, not ANG....and, I\'d be hesitant to go public on \"90% sure\" discussing anything about this incident.

Quote: I\'m a 100% you\'re wrong. Your choices are AFRC or AD at Pope, not ANG....and, I\'d be hesitant to go public on \"90% sure\" discussing anything about this incident.

why not? its all over the news, internet, with pics, videos, etc. etc..... anything that is classified is still classified.

yes the pictures have been all over the news and I am sure that many folks have seen the ones that the army guy sent out immediately following the landing. I am presently at the deployed location where the crew and aircraft were stationed. I can tell you that since the first minute this incident happened we were directed not to say a word, the reason being to protect the \"integrity of the mishap investigation.\" That is why the only pics that are really for distribution at the present should be the ones on the AF website that have been cleared by PA. The crew did an outstanding job regardless. The news will officially come out in time so just have some patience.

I just got an email from my father in-law which had the pictures of the crash taken by the Army Kid. All I can think is \"what the F%^$\". What the heck was this kid thinking by posting these pictures so quick on the web? He mentions his CSM and CO by name and show the faces of the iraqi police. I thought that was a no no? Maybe the command needs to hammer in the need to keep this stuff out of the public eye until the investigation is done. Or maybe I am getting old and there is no such thing as COMSEC or OPSEC.

Herkeng (retired)

mongo wrote:

Quote: I\'m a 100% you\'re wrong. Your choices are AFRC or AD at Pope, not ANG....and, I\'d be hesitant to go public on \"90% sure\" discussing anything about this incident.

why not? its all over the news, internet, with pics, videos, etc. etc..... anything that is classified is still classified.

Why not? OK, this might seem like a stretch, but....

Part of the AF safety process is protecting the investigation and those investigate through the concept of privilege. Simply, this is supposed to encourage those involved to \"fess up\" vs. \"clam up\", so we can thoroughly and quickly find out what happened and prevent the next accident. I have seen the process from the USAF and NTSB sides, and can tell you that the military process, though not perfect and far from \"The Guys in the White Hats\" they advertise, is a much faster, generally lawyer-free process with the mission in mind.

So, you\'re a smart guy with military furnished C-130 training. Hypothetically: An airplane lands gear up at Little Rock, and a someone shoots a cell phone video of the flight deck and drops it on the internet. You see the video, see the gear handle is up, and make on-line comments and conclusions, based on the fact that you are a military trained C-130 expert.

Now, the guy who dropped the video on the internet violated privilege, but you have also contributed to the intent of this violation by furnishing expert information indicating the crew error.

I love talking about accidents. I think it\'s a smart and healthy way to learn and prevent mistakes. I\'m looking forward to the report on this one especially, but I don\'t want to contribute to the on-line banter for two reasons:

1) What I may or may not know could violate the above, and

2) I hate to look stupid when my on-line conclusions turn out to be dead wrong.