Horizontal Stab L/E

1685FCC

Got an interesting call the other day from Warner Robins concerning

64-14859. As most of us know this plane started out as a HC-130, then to a EC-130, and now it is a C-130E. The problem that Robins had was that the RH Horizontal Leading Edge had extra exterior plating on the L/E of the structure. I finally got them to send some pics and sure enough this exterior plating runs the full length of the L/E. They said this L/E is from a Talon. They didn\'t specify which MDS. I know it isn\'t from the Talon II, but what about the T1? They were telling me it is a Flare deflector?? I looked in both the 1C-130H-4 and 1C-130(M)H-4 and the part numbers cross reference each other. There are no differences in appearance between the MC-130P, MC-130H, and C-130E leading edges.

Does anyone have a theory or know which MDS had these plates? Since it was a HC-130 and EC-130 i figured one of these two probably required these plates? I hope to have some pics up soon so you know what I\'m talking about.

Later,

DaveB)

Its funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing. This plane did have the Fulton Recovery when it was a HC-130, so it makes me wander if this L/E never was replaced after all these years? I\'ll try to get some pics up tomorrow when I get them from my work email.

DaveB)

Perhaps for the ALE-27 chaff - often the bundles would freez up and nait the hz stab.

Now on CT II IBM\'s original design caused the ALE-40 flares to hit the HZ stab. Or, once, the tailcone of the left ext tank. Chase asked if \"we had dispensed two?\" No just split the flare.

It definitely came from a Talon 1, and yes, all Talon 1\'s had the leading edges of the horizontal stabilizers covered with a doubler as reinforcement to prevent dents from the ALE-27 chaff bundles. The dispensers were just forward of the paratroop air deflector doors. There are a few old photos around where the 8 dispenser outlets can be seen.

John

TalonOneTF wrote:

It definitely came from a Talon 1, and yes, all Talon 1\'s had the leading edges of the horizontal stabilizers covered with a doubler as reinforcement to prevent dents from the ALE-27 chaff bundles. The dispensers were just forward of the paratroop air deflector doors. There are a few old photos around where the 8 dispenser outlets can be seen.

John

I wander how this got be on 4859?? Do you think they put these on the HC\'s back in the day? Looking at an old pic of this bird in folder 4082 of the pic gallery, shows the normal standard L/E, from what I can tell. Here is a pic after all the paint was stripped off. This is off 4859\'s RT Horizonal stab.

[img size=160]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/Picture_20001_1_.jpg

Since the late 70\'s/early 80\'s, the ALE-27 chaff system was removed from the Talon 1\'s, and that was the only thing that made those horizontal stabilizer leading edges a requirement on the MC-130E.

These days you can find lots of swaps of parts that were once unique, such as Skyhook cargo ramps, cargo ramp floorboards, wing tips, etc. All interchangeable parts, if there is no longer a unique requirement.

• 3 weeks later...

bbuech wrote:

I was the crew chief on 4859 when it was assigned to DM as an EC-130. Those LE were not installed on the aircraft then. My guess is when the converted it back to a C-130 the EC LEs were replaced. The EC-130s had antennas attached to the LE.

Yeah I was thinking it had to be installed while at Moody. We haven\'t changed that L/E or the other since it has been assigned here.

DaveB)

Guest cobra935o

They could have been switched at the depot, when there was a T1 getting torn apart next to that plane, parts dont always seem to make it back to the right stack! Hell that even happens in the iso docks, when you have the capability to do more then one plane in the same hangar!

Steve1300 wrote:

Actually, it was right after Eagle Claw that the flares were installed on the Kadena MC130\'s. They didn\'t have them in the late 70\'s at all.

All the Heavy Chain and Talon 1\'s had the ALE-27 Chaff dispensers installed from the beginning of the program in the sixties. The ALE-27 was chaff only, and the chaff bundles were fairly large, approximately 6 x 3 x 1. The horizontal stabilizers had the leading edge doublers installed to prevent denting of the aerodynamic surfaces.

In the late 70\'s, the ALE-40 dispensers were added as flare only, then later evolved to chaff and flare. Then the ALE-27 dispensers were removed.

mongo wrote:

could it be that just maybe, the particular LE in question is just repaired? We got some aircraft here at the big loser UAL that are flying around with doubler and triplers that look like armor plating. CG? what CG??

I thought that at first before I saw the pics. If they needed to put a patch repair on the L/E that was that big, I would\'ve replaced the entire L/E instead. You can tell that it is definitely suppose to be there and from what I\'ve seen in old T1 pictures, there is definitely plates on the Horizontal L/E\'s.

This plane just looks to me like it was pieced together with spare parts to get flying again. I\'m curious how it will look after depot with a fresh coat of paint. Polishing a terd comes to mind, lol! Seriously though I think it is kinda cool how this plane has survived

after all the modifications and demodifications.

DaveB)