60412 crash in Iraq on 27 June 2008

Katum_Medic322

These are the photos that we were explicitly told not to distribute until the SIB/AIB is complete. You should read the other post concerning this subject and understand why this reason exists. There are several links to authorized pictures that have been released by AF PA.

After looking at the PowerPoint slide show, I got to thinking that the last time I saw that much fire around a C-130 was long ago and far away.

56-0472 was shotup on approach to the Katum Special Forces Camp on 27 May 1969. It landed safely and burned.

At the following URL, you can see the result at Photos 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18.

Photo #19 is a C-130 which barely escaped getting punctured.

http://www.sflistteamhouse.com/scrapbook/RManning/mem/regndxpix.html

I\'ve ridden many, many miles in the backend of your C-130\'s and it was the best jumping aircraft in the fleet during the \'60\'s, \'70\'s, and early \'80\'s when I was on jump status. While in the ROC, I used to jump with the Chinese Special Warfare Command (SF, Airborne, & Rangers) on the Thursday jumps out of Tao Yuen ROC AFB. They didn\'t have C-130\'s during \'70 -\'72 when I was there so we were giving familiarization training in jumping the C-130. The ROCAF was still equipped with C-119\'s at that time. Those old 119\'s were very easy to jump with the jump doors set at 45 degrees in the clamshell but takeoffs were a bear.

Question: Did all the C-119\'s come from the factory equipped with square tires and wheels? That\'s what it felt like during taxi and takeoff.

I appreciate what you C-130 folks did for us at Katum despite the risks and losses there. Had it not been for your airlift, we\'d have run out of beans, boots, and bullets.

R. T. Manning

CSM, Ret.

SF, 1966 - 1980

Lkuest wrote:

Wow, apparently the \"front\" landing gear now has brakes installed. Interesting powerpoint.

I believe they were referring to the FWD MLG, different terminology there, I think, well lets hope so??

This powerpoint is going around the work email like crazy, so this isn\'t the first time I\'ve seen it. Just glad the crew got out unscaved (spelling).

DaveB)

loadsmith wrote:

These are the photos that we were explicitly told not to distribute until the SIB/AIB is complete. You should read the other post concerning this subject and understand why this reason exists. There are several links to authorized pictures that have been released by AF PA.

While I agree with you that these photos should not have been released, I got that same slideshow about 2 weeks after it happened. Katum was not the first to obtain and release these pics. Personally, I dont think anything was compromised in the pictures but I am not a memeber of the SIB.

Is it common practice to remove the QECs? One of those pictures showed the herk with no engines. Also, and this is just my curiosity about procedure, would they have killed power right away when hitting the ground? I noticed on of the props looks like it was part way to feather but was stopped before getting there.

BobMaine wrote:

So what is the story? How come they landed in the pucker brush?

With those pictures of the event they must have known ahead of time something was going to happen. Maybe gear problems?

This is one of those systems questions from back in the day. When the crew performs a ground egress, why don\'t the props all go all the way to feather?

Well, in some cases(like this one), they don\'t have the APU running. So when that 4th generator goes off-line, there\'s nothing to finish the feathering process.

That\'s why they aren\'t all the way in feather.

navonfire wrote:

Quick note: The SIB is still running, and the AIB hasn\'t started. None of us are supposed to be speculating/discussing this until the results/reports are released.

Us? You must have a mouse in your pocket...;)

I\'ve had the unpleasant duty of being present at the site of a fresh C-130 crash to initiate the safety investigation, but that was many, many years ago.

I can appreciate your concern for protecting the innocent from wild speculation, and the classified from unauthorized disclosure and/or compromise. There doesn\'t seem to be any classified information depicted; just a wrecked airplane.

Nowadays, if it can be seen or heard, it can be recorded, digitized, and made accessible to a bushman in the Kalahari via wireless internet. Thats the way it is.

Should be plenty of expert witnesses, voice recordings, and data recordings. \"They\" must have determined that \"they\" had sufficient evidence for the investigation, and that the difficulty/danger of securing the site warranted destroying the wreckage.

I\'m sure that the results of the investigations will be made public, to the extent allowed, in due time.

I got this in my email to. But did not post it. It is just one of those things that everyone gets, but no one says anything about. The elephant sitting in the middle of the room.

Great images though. Great that there were no injuries.

Except for the plane though :( *sniffle*

EDIT - I think it is pretty safe to say that it can be shared with the world. I found the dismantle job posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-xxPHStprk

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a copycat of this landing anyone know the details on this one.... http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-6-9_C130-bellylanding.mpeg

If you look at the props they look the same...someone pointed out that once the gen\'s are off line there is no power to the aux feather motor to drive the prop all the way to feather so...all four running on touchdown????

Belly flops are all the rage. Didn\'t you know? Everyone\'s doing it.

When I have a little more time - I\'ll translate and get back to you.

EDIT - I have returned

The crash happened in Darwin Australia. If the research I have done is correct. That belly flop was the original and the one in Iraq is the copy cat. Because the only infos I could find date back to 2000

DAILY BRIEFING BY OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL 18 FEB 2000

**UNTAET Cargo Plane Forced to Emergency Landing; No Injuries Reported

Some of you may have seen the footage, but prior to the Secretary- General\'s arrival, a United Nations C-130 aircraft with 29 passengers plus crew onboard, landed on its belly today at Darwin\'s airport but there were no injuries. The plane had left Dili at 6:30 a.m. and was forced to make an emergency landing on its belly when its left wheel failed to activate. This is the only United Nations Mission (UNTAET) aircraft in operation on that route between Darwin and Dili -- the Mission’s main route of supply. A plane is expected to replace this C-130 by Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The final report is out as of 03 Oct 08. Without getting into too much of it the bottom line was the MP snatched the throttles back too fast and flamed out three of the four motors while reacting to MWS warning. According to the report because the fuel control was not working properly (running rich) the #2 engine continued to run all the way to landing. There was never any attempt to relight or feather any of the non-functioning engines but to be fair time from flameout to touchdown was 57 seconds. I thought the pilot did a great job of landing the plane once he decided that was the only option.

I read the report today, very thorough, very interesting. I won\'t comment on it here because it is FOUO but I recommend that if you have access, to read the report before you jump to conclusions about crew experience, aircraft malfunctions... All of you active flyers should be pestering your safety guy to download it and brief it to the squadron ASAP. Thats what its there for and I\'m actually quite surprised that its release wasn\'t advertised to all of the Stan/Eval shops out there.

• 5 months later...