Shepperd

bobdaley

There was one old bird that we cut up and converted into a ground trainer. I think soimetime before that there was an A model that was scrapped. If you look just past the other end of the runway there is an old A model (I think it is still there) that was in pretty good shape for being exposed to the elements.

Sonny

Dan,

Yes it could be old.

Sonny the two at the other end are A model 53-3131 in good shape and a B 58-0727 used for Aeromed training.

I know that

54-1621 was scrapped

56-0469 is a gunner trainer at Hurlburt

57-0489 is a Load tainer at Fort Lee

61-2364 and 62-1794 were sent to Goodfellow as trainers

64-0500 was sold as scrap

64-0557 was sunk for divers.

and I was wondering if any of the other 20 Herks they had were disposed of?

Bob

Bob, like I said, in 00 or 01 alot of our guys from Albatraz (550th) took a road trip to Shepard to gut one of the planes they were scrapping for parts but I don\'t remember if it was a E or and old HC/variant but gut her they did.

Wish I could remember more specifics for you but lots of spots of my memory has embolized away (man that really is maddening too).

Dan

64-0500 was at one time intended to be a testbed for some MC-130 modification concepts, but for the most part was used for other programs. The Dual Nav station was installed like the Talon 1s, but the Talon TF radar was never installed.

Quiet Knight testing was as close to a Talon program as it got. Mostly was used for Senior Scout, and other misc. projects.

TalonOneTF wrote:

64-0500 was at one time intended to be a testbed for some MC-130 modification concepts, but for the most part was used for other programs. The Dual Nav station was installed like the Talon 1s, but the Talon TF radar was never installed.

Quiet Knight testing was as close to a Talon program as it got. Mostly was used for Senior Scout, and other misc. projects.

It also had the 94pnd flt deck AC, bleed air regulators, divider valve, APU with generator, ATM generator, -15s, and 90kva generators. When I heard it was going to Sheppard I tried to get the folks here at Hurbie to keep it or trade 7898 for it. Nope.

99 was when I flew a few sorties on it out of Eglin. Was 4 for 4 on time. I thought it was a good plane in spite of it sitting at Waco for many months before I flew on it.

TalonOneTF, do you know if it had a SOF center wing box?