internal wing strut cracks

tinwhistle

It may have been 1965 but I\'m inclined to believe that it was in 1966 that the 776th TCW received a factory notice concerning cracked wing struts. We maint. weenies had to crawl inside the wing with the most horrible paint remover, spread it onto the struts, move on to the next access panel, do the same thing, then go back to the first one, remove the paint remover and inspect the strut. Anyone out there remember that, and if so, do you have any more details? Thanks for any help...Chris

Well, OK, they\'re not wing struts. I\'m 63 years old and when that NDI came out I was 19 or 20 years old. A long time has gone by and for years and years I did not pay any attention to my Air Force time and and less to C-130 matters. Either way, could you fill in some of the details for me?

I remember behind the engines under the horse collar we had to remove the paint around where the engine was connected to the wings on some A models at Sewart.

I think it was about 64. I would have been 19 then also.

That is about all I remember about it.

We did do this from on top of the wing.

Many thanks to \"donwan\", \"EClark\", and \"tiny clark\". Between the three of you I may have all I need. We did the inspections on \'63 E models from Pope, but we were TDY at France and Naha. We also worked from the top of the wing and I remember the paint remover as being VERY powerful. One of our guys passed out and after being hauled out spent the night in the dispensary. If anything else comes up regarding this matter please pass it on. Once again, thanks...Chris:)

We were on swing shift and this half crazy guy called Frenchie was on the wing useing the paint remover.

It was raining or misting real hard and he was dripping the paint remover on his left hand.

It was diluted at the time, but later that night he had sone bad burns on his hand.

He was always doing weird stuff.

• 1 year later...