TDY\'S

DC10FE

I was talking with my neighbor yesterday evening. He retired 2 years ago as a MSgt 702 (admin type) after 23 years. We were talking about TDY\'s & he said that, besides professional military schools, he had been TDY just one time in his whole military career of flying a typewriter & opening & closing file cabinet drawers -- & that was a 2-month TDY to Ramstein a year before his retirement!!

Now, this will be difficult for the dinosaurs on this board, but it got me thinking -- do you remember your first TDY? Mine was in 9/64 from Langley to Sewart to get the forward cargo door of our B-model permanently sealed up. My crew chief was TSgt Stanley Craft & I was so green, I didn\'t even know I had to file a travel voucher! This was before I knew about Airmen\'s Clubs & beer. My first night there, I went to the base theater & saw The Beatles in \"Hard Day\'s Night.\"

Don R.

My first was in 1967 to Meldenhall, England wasn\'t alot to do but we did get to fly all over Europe and see the sights I forget to say we were in the 67 7 day war we were flying out embassy personal it was alittle touchy the Lebanese were not that frienly

I was at Sewart at that time, well I was assigned there anyway.

How long were you there?

Was that after the maint Airman was sucked out of one of our birds?

I think his name was Gary Back.

I was sent to Sewart in sept.63 and don\'t remember my first TDY.

My first TDY was to Saigon with Ernie Knight to change an engine on a MATS E model. This was in 63 or 64 we flew to Bien Hoa on a C124 and on to Tan Son Khut on a C47 with no windows or doors. We stayed at the Mercury Hotel and rode a bus with chain link fence over the windows back and forth to work. It was still some what safe to explore the streets, the open air markets were interesting to say the least. Flew home to Tachikawa in the bird we fixed with the bad engine and us as cargo.

I am going to stay in current time, well at least 9 years ago. My first was to Las Vegas in \'99. We were part of the \"Denton Airlift\" carrying food, clothing, and other supplies across the country. I believe from Vegas we went to Selfridge ANG base, Michigan. Nothing really exciting happened...except I went to my first STRIP CLUB, pretty cool, Lol! Good times back at the ROCK during those times.

DaveB)

How far you want to go back???

My first TDY was from Little Rock AFB, AR to Tinker AFB, OK.

Time frame 1958, to support the operation \"Milk Bottle\" a rework of the wing on the B-47 wings.

Had of a hell of a lot of fun:angry:

Damn that along time ago.

Well, there is no doubt that I\'m one of the \"old Guy\'s\"!!

My first TDY was in 1964 From Pope to Fresno for an operational exersize called \"Desert Strike\". I was 19 yrs old, completety green,and I have no idea of why they let me go.I was told more than once to \"get the hell out of the way\"! But it caused me to fall in love with the C-130 and whet my appetite for travel and flying. I spent the rest of my enlistment jumping at every chance I could to move on! I literally traveled the world on Uncle\'s dime. Thinking back, the one thing (other than my service in Vietnam)that I\'m the most satisfied with was that I crewed the third Herk to touch concrete at Mactan...Chris:)

The \"1st\" TDY, a Herc TDY, was right after finishing Phase II at the Rock, and I mean right after like in the 1st flight. I was in the 32nd and was tasked with taking a plane down for depot and the radar scope burnt-up. We were ready to descend into WRB so smoke & fumes elimination, etc., etc. Some \"cherry\" ride.

I think that my 1st actual USAF TDY was out of WPAFB where I was crewing then FM on JC-131Bs. Went to Dyess for Caribou school prior to leaving for SEA. Hell of an indoctrination into TDYs for a young 19 year old. I think I was in class everyday but can\'t remember! :woohoo:

I jumped at about every chance I got to fly.

I even went on just about any 4 hour local training

flight I could get on.

Went to Ft. Campbell to let the Paratroopers jump.

Went on the touch and goes practice.

Loved the Assault T/O,s and landings on the dirt strip near the runway.

I didn\'t get flight pay for any of it.

When we went to SEA I found out what

all that training was for.

First TDY was the Rock to Nellis. AC got the crew free tickets to see Gloria Esiphan(sp) and the Miami Sound Machine. Then to Eglin, where we blew a leading edge bleed air duct. Spent all night fixing the bird. Got done as the sun was coming up and the crew was showing up at the aircraft asking if it was ready to fly and talking about Sammy\'s. Won\'t repeat what I told the FE. Crew bunk felt good on the way back to the rock.

Mike

How many of you men got to go to Wassaw Poland I was lucky enough to get the trip in 68 Embassy Run food and liquor. But you know how it is I didn\'t get to see the Embassy I had stay and watch my plane couldn\'t trust the Poles so me and the load had stay while the rest went and had lunch they brought us cold hamburgers but thats life. I have another one for later a trip to the Congo that agood one to.:cheer: :cheer:

First TDY was to Lajes, Azores from Rhein Main with the 7405 OPS sq. I was as green as you get, but my Supervisor sure took care of me(lots of cold ones at the club). I sure learned what to bring for my next trip. More BEER money!!!

Guest cobra935o

First TDY was from Keesler to McChord. We were dropping a crew off at the sim, I dont know why we flew them up ourselves, but they sent a couple of crew chiefs with the plane, and since it was my plane I got to go. That was my first ride on a C-130 ever too! That was sometime in 1991. I was the guy that didnt know about travel vouchers and all that either. I was like going TDY sucks, as an AB, I didnt have any money as it was, and now I was going to have to pay for this room, and food, I didnt know the AF was going to give me money back for all that stuff, hehe.

Nathan

My first TDY was to a little podunk airstrip in VA to change a main tire on one of birds that was doing touch and go\'s. I took everything I needed, but the air cart would not start. So I had to \"borrow\" an air compressor from only of the locals. It was a Sears 10HP it took almost 3 hours to pump up that darn tire. :laugh:, we got just the min pressure in. We changed it again when we got back to Pope, just to be on the safe side. I was fresh out of FTD as a brand new 5 level and scared to death of screwing something up.

This is not my first but we did a overniter in Tripoli Libya in 68 every thing was great on touch down went to town stayed alnight next morning the #2 boost pump low pressure lite came on good excuse to stay another nite fore the flight crew but not me and my acc we got a 3 level fuel cell man fresh out of school it was a bad two days some of you CC know what I mean.:woohoo: :woohoo:

My first TDY was from Pope to Shaw to attend physiological training in October 1964. My first real TDY was a few months later in March 1965 when our crew went on rotation to Evreux. We went a week early because the squadron had lost a crew on a night low-level during an ORI. We were supposed to be there for 90 days but then TAC sent out TWO BUCK and all of the E-models were called back from Europe to go to PACAF and we were only there for about five weeks. We had a couple of weeks before we were to depart for Kadena and during that time we went TDY to Benning to drop troops, the first basic airborne school to jump the Herk (they had been using Reserve C-119s.) We got called back from there a day early because of the DR crisis. We flew about three missions to the DR then left for Kadena in early May. We came home in early July and after leave went to the Congo where LEO was shutting down to bring back some people and cargo. As soon as we got back the whole squadron went to Mactan and we were there until December. I went home on leave over Christmas and as soon as I walked in the barracks Willy Singletary, our squadron clerk, told me orders had come in sending me to Naha.

My first TDY was from Dyess to Sewart in early 1966. I was a brand new A3C LM and they sent me to get my flight pay started. We took 63-7880 up to be painted (it was silver).. my first flight in an AF airplane! I got sick on descent and made a mess on the flight deck crew ladder . :S . I got to stay at the airplane and clean it up. Don\'t remember much else about the trip other than I didn\'t get sick on the way home the next day..

Well excluding training TDY's, my first TAD was to White Sands missile range for "operation boarder star" living in a GP large. Guess it sucked but what the hay, I was 17 and enjoyed it at the time, I most clearly remember just walking out of the tent heading to the showers when I heard that Uncle Ronny (Regan) was shot, :(

First AF TDY was as a Crew Chief to Griffis AFB NY with my E3A (in the dead of friggin winter)

First TDY as a flight puke was accidental, we were flying some exercise or other near Pope from Keesler, weather at Biloxi go so bad they told us to RON at Pope.

AC was a great guy, Bill Gosnell, the likes of which you don't see any more. He made sure us sweatys were settled at the NCO club and made sure we each got a pitcher of beer on him - SWEET.

I am sure there are other people that remember Bill Gosnell, sad day when he passed on.

Dan

Edited by Dan Wilson

For sure I\'m one of the old guys. First TDY was from Barksdale to Goose Bay with a KC97. Crew shut one down for low oil so we landed at Dow AFB filled the oil tank and on to Goose. This was in Jan of 1959. First C130 TDY was a crew of rookies newly upgraded AC and I was a new FE,(had flow once around the flagpole by myself) load was newbie with an old Nav (Lt Col) to \"babysit\" us a the Ops officer said. Was one of the old leave Friday be back Sunday put X number of hours on airframe missions. Think it was something like 12 hours to dock input on Monday, remember we parked on wash rack when we got home. Dyess to Patterson, ron, Patterson to Travis to DM ron, DM back to Dyess.

Mike

My first tdy after getting qualified was from lockbourne on C-130A models to howard ab, cz to fly downstream support. dual rails removed we floor loaded everything because there was no support stuff to offload you downstream in central and south america. loadmasters earned their pay on that mission.

Rick

My first TDY was from Johnson AB Japan to K8, Kunsan ROK in 1956.. We were loading our gear on a contract C-46 (Civil Air Transport/FlyTiger) I was sent back to the motorpool with the truck and told to hurry it up... We were about to leave... I got caught by a senior NCO and was told to wash the vehicle before I could go... It took awhile to convince him that I didn\'t have time to wash his damned truck and I had to leave... As we were coming onto the airfield my heart sank as my \'ride\' was just turning out of the pattern headed for Japan.. By the time I got someone at base ops to listen to a 2 stripe airman the C-46 was to far to turn back... Something about a \'crew duty day thing\'... The word got out that this airman was left by his sqdn.. I had the run of the place for the next ten days and was given an army jeep for my use by the motor pool noncom.. Sent most of the time washing the same fatiges over and over... An awful place to be forgoten in the winter of 1956.. :S

Jack..........

My first tdy was in 1958 i was a third wiper on a B52 flying out of Fairchild AFB Wash. It was a exciting trip i got to set on the flight deck and watch a inflight refueling and they had to shut dowm a engine before i left the flt deck. I was a A/3c and at that time you would get fifty dollars for a one day tdy. Ihad a wife and one child making less than two hundred a month getting that fifty dollars was like christmass had come. You had to be a A/3c with a family to understand what fifty dollars ment. We was so poor one day a coke truck was comming down the street and they were going to each house giving away a 6 pack of coke free we hadn\'t had a coke in a long time. The coke man was handing us the free coke ond said all we had was pay him for the bottles and we had to say we didn\'t want any we didn\'t tell him but we didn\'t have 18 cents to pay for the bottles.

• 1 month later...

It\'s time for another story in Dec.67 we went tdy to the Congo through Trinidad to Accension Island lost the G.T.C. at Trinidad we were gone for to weeks that was a very expensive trip for uncle sam had to have assistant at every over nite stop I wount say who busted the G.T.C. but it wasn\'t me;) :woohoo: :woohoo: