Service Life Extension for the MC-130E

Well you know with such a time tested airframe as the MC-130E you got to keep it in the fight. Need to somehow drop the E so the bean counters will stop lumping it into the category with the rst of the E\'s. The AC-130H\'s are actually E\'s but everyone forgets about it because they are labeled as H\'s. The Talon 1\'s have the upgrades to, but can\'t call them MC-130H\'s that reserved for those other Talons.

Talon 1\'s rule........

Engine Mike B)

TalonOneTF wrote:

A little birdie whispered in my ear and hinted that there may be consideration in the works to extend the MC-130E service life to 2020 (plus). Any comments?

John

Damn, that would be awesome!

Last date I heard was 2015, but could slide as far right as 2018 or could be accellerated in 2011 if MC-J comes online quicker than anticipated.

2020 really works for me...keep the original Chariot of Armageddon in the fight!

Any talk of the T-1 staying around past 2015 has no basis of fact. MAJCOMs run \"what if\" drills all the time, that\'s all they are. I suspect this talk of MCEs stating past 2020 is just a \"what if\" drill that someone has taken out of context.

The MCJ is on track to recapitalize MCPs and MCEs, that is a fact. I\'m not saying that an MCJ as presently envisioned is as capable as an MCE, just stating facts as they are. From a sustainment point of view, the T-1s are the oldest SOF C-130\'s out there, funding to maintain the SOF fleet will continue to shrink and need to be maximized. The SOF fleet needs to be recapitalized to remain viable, how they do it will be cussed and discussed for the next decade, but that\'s where we are headed.

Well, so far the DOD has only authorized purchase of 14 of the J-tanker, and only 6 are on contract. Plans for 54 additional are at this point, only plans.

It will be interesting to see if the new administration supports DOD budget requests, or will big cuts impact some of the plans.

For now, it\'s \"wait and see\". If the MC-130Es are retired in 2015, it will not be due to the center wing; it will just be the stigma of being designated as an \"E\" model.

Well you know with such a time tested airframe as the MC-130E you got to keep it in the fight. Need to somehow drop the E so the bean counters will stop lumping it into the category with the rst of the E\'s. The AC-130H\'s are actually E\'s but everyone forgets about it because they are labeled as H\'s. The Talon 1\'s have the upgrades to, but can\'t call them MC-130H\'s that reserved for those other Talons.

As a non-SOF FE, just curious about the AC-H\'s actually being E\'s and the Talon 1 upgrades. Were those just -15 engine, AC pack upgrades? Just curious from a trash hauler\'s point of view.

I\'m not at all easy about the Dems being in control of the White House now. I\'m sorely afraid that the troops in the field will suffer, and the country will become a 2nd rate military power.

AC-Hs are 69 Es stolen from Little Rock when they were new. They were AC-130Es for awhile but when -15s were hung on them the series was changed to H.

Both airplanes have been through several mods/upgrades over the years.

The Talon needs to be changed to MC-130Z to get the E stink off them.

SEFEGeorge wrote:

I\'m not at all easy about the Dems being in control of the White House now. I\'m sorely afraid that the troops in the field will suffer, and the country will become a 2nd rate military power.

AND in control of both houses of congress...where the real power is - the power of the purse.

Does anybody know if the four Talon 1\'s that were sent to March AFB for storage are still there? A while back, I heard someone was interested in picking up those airplanes for another program....

What I heard was the four MC\'s at March would be part of it.

And that 711 SOS was getting rid of all their MC\'s.

Politics, money and jobs are driving the idea. No pol wants to lose a Guard unit.

They don\'t have to be effective, just keep the pork flowing.

We flew around for a long while with C-130B-II\'s, the 59 models. We could not carry anything because they had not removed the welded Intell structures from inside the cargo compartment.

Bob

Actually, the MC-130E is an E-model with a few modifications. I was at Pope in the 779th when we first got them. They only thing different about them was the Fulton system on the nose and terrian following radar that came off the B-52s. There was no radio operators station or any of the other stuff that was added later. They started showing up at Pope in the summer of 1965.

Now, I doubt if they have the time or endured thr kind of punishment the other E-models did in SEA since they weren\'t being used in the crash and dash role out in the boonies. Bowers says there were only about 15-20 missions over North Vietnam and most of those were flown by the DUCK HOOK C-123s. The Stray Goose guys picked up the FACT SHEET mission that the Naha A-models had been flying for several years so they could maintain proficiency operating in hostile airspace. They flew conventional missions supplying SOG teams at the forward fields on the Laotian border.