35th TAS Patch

Mt.crewchief

That\'s not the squadron patch. The 35th TCS patch has a picture of a donkey with parachute coming out behind it. The donkey is remiscent of missions flown in Italy when the squadron dropped mules. It also has a lightning bolt through it if I remember correctly. I think there may be a picture on the Air Force Together We Served web site. I joined the 35th in February 1966. Until just before i got there squadron personnel wore squadron patches on their flight suits. Then they changed to the PACAF patch with the squadron patch on the arm, but then they came out and said not to wear unit idenfication and after that the patches pretty well disappeared. We had green baseball caps with \"35\" embroided on front in white but weren\'t allowed to wear them in SEA because the number 35 has some kind of meaning.

[img size=100]http://www.herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/35th.jpg

Yeh, I know it is not the official squadron patch, I have a few of those also! The one I posted is one of the many things you could get made downtown! The patch I posted is about 8\" across!!!

I had a green 35th hat also, but managed to lose it over the years!

Were any of you guys in 35th Maint. during the years 67-69? It would be nice to hear from some of you on this forum!

Thanks for looking,

Ken Carlson

• 2 years later...

Yeh, I know it is not the official squadron patch, I have a few of those also! The one I posted is one of the many things you could get made downtown! The patch I posted is about 8\" across!!!

I had a green 35th hat also, but managed to lose it over the years!

Were any of you guys in 35th Maint. during the years 67-69? It would be nice to hear from some of you on this forum!

Thanks for looking,

Ken Carlson

Just found this. I was assigned to C-130A 56-0471(black bottom) Jan. 1967 to Aug. 1968. Still friends with Sonny Cook from the 41st and Tom Edwards from the 817th. Msgt. Andrew Haskill was our Flt. Chief. Long time ago.

tomt,

Nice to hear from somebody from our Naha era! Of course I remember Msgt. Haskell--how could I not!!

I have some pics of a 35th party posted in one of my earlier posts. Haskell is in at least one of them!

If you haven't seen them yet, let me know! I can send them to you. There are quite a few people in them that you would probably recognize!

Keep in touch, either via this forum or e-mail!

Ken Carlson

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I was there as Maintenance Officer with the 35th in 1968. Do any of you remember the night a C130 was towed across runway at Naha but were talking to tower at Kadena who also had a C130 being towed across runway? SMSGT Jesse James and I had to play detective to keep guys out trouble. If anyone has an extra 35th patch I am looking for one.

f4enut, I have a feeling that I might know one of the guys on the tow team you are talking about. Actually, I am surprised it didn't happen more often! Whenever we called the tower for permission to cross the the runway from "easy area" we had to try to figure what the Okinawan in the tower was saying!! One day I called the tower for clearance and I was given the okay-- that's what I thought anyway! Just as we got across, the Northwest Orient plane landed. We saw it coming and I told the Euc. operator to step on it! We thought it was kind of funny until we got our butts chewed by the Main. Officer. Could it have been you? Back to the Kadena incident, did the guy in charge of the tow crew have "Frog" written on his green 35th TAS cap? If so he was my room mate! (also the guy receiving the Airman's Medal in my gallery)!

By the way is Jesse still with us?? By the way, the year was 1968

Thanks for the memories,

Ken