LC-130 History VXE-6

SonnyJ

• 2 weeks later...

Sonny,

Great piece of history! VXE-6 and the Navy in general did a great service to the science community. I\'ve been proudly serving with the 109th New York Ang since 1996 and have enjoyed working with the men and women of VXE-6 in my early year before the decommisioning. Reading about the early years of VXE-6, 17TAS Firebirds and the history of the 109th gives me a since of pride in my job.... Thank you for sharing your story..

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a final note to the VXE-6 history it was the Robins guys who flew three of the Navy LCs out of DM to Waco for crossdecking from Navy to Air Force standards plus a few other minor stuff. We were the only guys qualified to fly the Navy birds once VXE-6 disbanded. Raytheon had the contract to do the work at their facility east of Waco at the TSTC airport.

I was the FE on the first crew to take one out of Davis Monthan and fly it to Waco. I played scanner when it was finally ready for first flight FCF. I let John Pangborn, who used to be at the 109th, fly the FEs position for the first flight. I've even got a video of the takeoff. Pangborn left Robins and is now back at the 109th.

Fitting that the Air Force flew the final flights of the Navy's VXE-6 aircraft or at least three of them that are still flying anyway. ;-) Go Guard!

In 1988 I was one 3 AF FE's selected for manning assistance to VXE-6. I did 2 Antartic tours with them. (Sept. '88 to Mar. '89 and again in Oct. '89 to Jan. '90) Everyone I worked with during both tours were very professional and I learned a great deal from them. To those who served with VXE-6 it was a pleasure.

In 1988 I was one 3 AF FE's selected for manning assistance to VXE-6. I did 2 Antartic tours with them. (Sept. '88 to Mar. '89 and again in Oct. '89 to Jan. '90) Everyone I worked with during both tours were very professional and I learned a great deal from them. To those who served with VXE-6 it was a pleasure.

Bruce...who were the other FEs from Little Rock that did that mission? I can't remember their names although I can see their faces. Jim Spillman might be one of them. This is Felix by the way in case you were wondering.

Edited by jbob

Felix,

I was the only FE from Little Rock, the others were from Dyess and Pope. I can't seem to remember the of the Dyess FE I think it was Dan (He was a TSgt), the FE from Pope was SSgt Scott Betts. I also served with Scott at Patrick AFB, FL. in the 71st RQS. I think he finished his career at Moody AFB, GA. when the 71st moved there in 1997. Jim Spillman was with me in the 71st also.

P.S. Felix, can you give me more details as to who you are, lost too many braincells along the way.

Edited by bbsoto

The FE from Dyess was George Rogers, He got out of Active duty shortly after he got back from that tour. While George went to VXE-6 on the ice I went to VRC-50 at Cubi Point. guess its a toss up on who got the better 6 month TDY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to see 321 while it was at NADEP Cherry Point after it came back from it's 17 year hiatus on the ice. The Forward Cargo Door was still operational. :D

All of the LC-130F's still had the forward cargo door and the forward cargo door hyd system and locks/actuators installed and were still connected to the forward hand pump.

At some point in time they had all been re-skinned (even 321) and the forward cargo door was no more (from the outside).

On a related note...I just found this photo while cruising the net. I imagine it's an old Navy herk lost someone on Antarctica maybe?

http://pixdaus.com/single.php?id=91282

That's what remains of the Navy LC-130R 155917 that crashed at the South Pole while landing.

Lockheed LC-130R

Lockheed production number: 4305

Lockheed series number: 382C-9D

Type/Model/Series LC-130R

US Navy Buno: 155917

Build date: 1968

VX-6 side number: JD-17

History: Operated with VX-6 / VXE-6 from 1968 to 1973. This was a "one only" Navy LC-130R buy from Lockheed.

Disposition: Crashed on landing at the South Pole Station 28 Jan 73. It is located about a quarter mile off of the the approach end of the South Pole runway, used as a guidence marker.

It crashed on the old runway in 1973.

In 1975 when the new South Pole station was finished the hulk of 917 was moved from where it had crashed to its new location as a radar marker about a mile upwind of the McMurdo end of the South Pole skiway.

In 2007 they moved the South Pole runway again, by now 917 was buried under 30 feet of snow and ice, so the removed the tail and re-buried it.

[ATTACH]503[/ATTACH]

You can go to my VXE-6 web page and read about it:

http://www.vaq34.com/vxe6/155917.htm

Bill Spindler's webpage has more info:

http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/igy2/917bw1.html

There are other links on that web page that have more information.

• 7 months later...

On a related note...I just found this photo while cruising the net. I imagine it's an old Navy herk lost someone on Antarctica maybe?

http://pixdaus.com/single.php?id=91282

This is an LC-130R, designated "917". The plane crashed on January 18, 1973 at 0328. I was aircrew member on the plane's last flight and it was also my last trip to Pole Station.

Patrick "AL" Yoas