TAC-Test 63-18 at El Centro; C-130B HALO Tests

Katum_Medic322

A friend\'s son has made this website as a tribute to his Father who participated in these early HALO tests. The final jump on 16 December 1963 from 43,500 feet took the world\'s record away from the Russians. The website lists the names of the Special Forces and Air Force personnel who made the jumps as well as the members of the crew. The C-130B used for the jumps was 62-3487. You should also take a look at the article from Parachutist Magazine. There\'s a link for that.

http://www.vistech.net/users/edman/halo/default.html

Oddly enough, Carl Wyrick, Bobby Gassoitt and I were talking about Captain Corey a few weeks ago when we were in San Antonio but at that time none of us could remember his name. I got it from Don Strobaugh, who is a Combat Control ICON. It seems to me Corey was stationed at Sewart at the time but he came to Pope shortly afterwards and was in charge of the CCT. He could be a bit of an A-hole at times. One day I met him somewhere and he had on a field jacket with no rank and chewed me out for not saluting him.

They did set a record for both the highest altitude for a jump from a fixed-wing airplane and the altitude record for the C-130 and perhaps for a turboprop, but it was not the record for the highest alitude for a propeller-driven airplane. B-36s flew higher and an Italian airplane set the high altitude record for a prop-driven airplane.