E-Flight Questions

Mt.crewchief

Phil, I was in 21st TAS E-flight whenever I was not TDY from Naha. My name is James Motes, and I do remember some names. My Crew Chief was Mike Morbaucher, and Ssgt Dintlemen. Do you remember those names?

I remember Mike Morbacher.He was always very neatly dressed(even on the flt line) I never knew how he got any work done.Nice guy though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen,

It's great to hear the buzz about the 21st! As you may or may not know, we're (21st Airlift Squadron) throwing a big 70th Anniversary reunion 16 Feb to 18 Feb 2012 at Travis AFB in Fairfield, CA. Events will include past and present operations reviews, bbq, aircraft static displays, a formal banquet and more! Below is a link to our E-Invitation, which has a link to our RSVP/Registration page.

https://einvitations.afit.edu/Smith174293/anim.cfm

Please register at your earliest convenience! For planning purposes we need to know who's going to make it! I also encourage you to spread the word / link to all former BEEliners!

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]!

Respectfully,

Tanner W. Go, 1Lt, USAF

Pilot, 21st Airlift Squadron

[email protected]

• 3 months later...

Hey Vince,

We need to find the rest of the guys, but if they are like Dave Splawn they won't touch a computer. Oh well, we still have cell phones. Oh by the way I found out a few days ago that 64-0497 was scrapped in 2001. That brought a lump to the ole throat, man I've got (had) a ton of hours on that bird. RIP four niner seven.

Tommy

Hey guys,

I don't know a thing about Eflight so I'm putting my ignorance on display here, however I do have a question regarding the photo shown above. My impression of Eflight is that it took place later in the 60s and into the 1970s, or even later. Now, if that is correct the aircraft used in Eflight would have been painted; is that correct? This aircraft is still in original silver, which would date the photograph 1966 or earlier. I think.....Chris

Bob,

Wouldn't that (grey) disqualify the plane in the picture as an Eflt plane? It's factory sheet metal silver. The reason I question this is because this picture is earily similar to an incident that involved a 776th plane about mid 1966 when all of our aircraft were still in their factory clothing. My 46 year old memories are suspect, but this picture is setting off many, many old thoughts and memories!!!

Chris

Chris, I will give my two bits worth of what I know.

When I was stationed at Naha 67-69, all of the E-Flight birds were silver---not gray!! They were attached to the 21st. TAS

One of my best friends was an E-Flght Crew Chief. (John Eggers)

You will have to ask Vince what color they were at CCK. He worked on them there!!

Now you know what I know,

Ken

Bob,

Wouldn't that (grey) disqualify the plane in the picture as an Eflt plane? It's factory sheet metal silver. The reason I question this is because this picture is earily similar to an incident that involved a 776th plane about mid 1966 when all of our aircraft were still in their factory clothing. My 46 year old memories are suspect, but this picture is setting off many, many old thoughts and memories!!!

Chris

That plane is GREY, not factory sheet metal. All of the C-130E E-Flight birds at CCK were Grey. The A-Models at Naha were sheet metal silver. You just can't decipher the Grey in the picture.

• 2 months later...

Air America C-130's and E-Flt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worked with Charlie Brewer,Fred Peffer,Randy Odette,Jim and Charlie Burnette,Pops Curfman,Tom"Lurch"Waryha, Chuck Manny.

Mostly the C-130's that Air America were using were"BAILED" or lease from the USAF/21TAS at Naha then CCK then at Clark. We were not allowed to devulge any information on our mission or the places we went to. Until the Air Force came out with the information in the book"Airlift in South East Asia and also Air America on their web site talked about E-Flight and what we did that we were finally able to talk about this great job that the C-130's and the crews did.

Being a former member of E-Flight at CCK and Clark the info that Air America Web Site states in the section of C-130E 's of E-Flight is "TRUE" ,down to the 5 Gray aircraft that we had including Tail numbers. Check out the Air America website at http://www.air-america.org and see Dr Leeker's report on Air America C-130 aircraft at this site http://www.utdallas.edu/library/collections/speccoll/Leeker/history/index.html

The Bird Air section that was stated after in this section was mostly of an former Air Force and some former E-Flight personnel that were working for Cambodia relief and evac's.

I am very PROUD what E-Flight and the C-130's did in NorthEast,EastAsia,South and South East Asia.and I was happy to be part of this.

E-Flight Forever

Sincerely

Vince Acquaviva Jr ( E-Flight CCK and Clark )

Vince, you must have replaced me. I remember Peffer, odette, brunette, pops, lurch and manney. I left in 1972.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...